Purple shrubs

jimtnc(7b Raleigh tttf)March 13, 2008

Are those small purple shrubs I've seen all over the place all winter called Nandina's - Heavenly Bamboo, or do I have them confused with something else? I've been checking other plant sites to see what they look like and they always show them green or slightly mixed with a green/orange/red look to them. I have the Nandina-Firepower, but they're not as pretty as those purple ones.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimtnc(7b Raleigh tttf)

the reason I ask is I have Firepower, and they have never looked like this:

...more like this:

Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 10:20AM
dyhgarden(7b)

Firepower is red/purple, but only in winter. I've noticed that the ones in full, bright winter sun are brighter and more solid in color. Other times of the year, they have the other colors of green/copper like your 2nd photo.

Cameron

Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 12:10PM
jimtnc(7b Raleigh tttf)

That's funny. The ones I bought 3 years ago were labeled firepower, but they have never gotten more color than the second pic. Of Course, I bought them at HD, so they could have been mis-labeled I guess. I have 1 in partial shade and 3 in full sun, and still no bright red in winter. Weird.

Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 12:25PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Have you seen this link to NCSU?

Firepower was developed in New Zealand, I think. Your second photo looks like it came from Monrovia's website? I have seen firepower almost totally green in the summer. I have 'Moon Bay' and it changes color a lot. It's in full southern sun.

nandina

RE: Purple shrubs - link didn't work

Well, I had a link to NCSU in the link field and it didn't work. I've had lots of problems lately with postings on the forum. Anyway...search NCSU, too.

RE: Purple shrubs

• Posted by: jimtnc 7b NC TTTF (My Page) on Fri, Mar 14, 08 at 5:56

Yeah, I did get that pic from Monrovia, but it still depicts exactly how my Nandinas look most of the time. Guess it might depend also on soil conditions, etc, but everyone else's around here are blood red. PMO me a little.

Post a Follow-Up Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link: Return to the Carolina Gardening Forum

Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 5:36PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Well, I had a link to NCSU in the link field and it didn't work. I've had lots of problems lately with postings on the forum. Anyway...search NCSU, too.

Bookmark   March 13, 2008 at 5:38PM
jimtnc(7b Raleigh tttf)

Yeah, I did get that pic from Monrovia, but it still depicts exactly how my Nandinas look most of the time. Guess it might depend also on soil conditions, etc, but everyone else's around here are blood red. PMO me a little.

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 5:56AM
More Discussions
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™