Planting Tulips and Semi-Shade Plants

benh56March 18, 2011

Hey everyone! I recently bought a home with my new wife and since this is our first spring in the home I thought Id get some planting done. My first question involves tulips. I got some tulip plants from lowes today and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on the best way to plant them. Im sure people who live here know that our clay soil can be a hassle and its my biggest concern with planting anything. I also want to ask if any of yall have any ideas on perennial flowers I could plant in a moderately shaded environment?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tammy Kennedy

Welcome! I'd do a search for past threads on the semi shaded; in fact there's an active one right now on that very subject. Always a good idea before you post a new thread- we've covered just about everything through the years, and that way you have instant answers.

As for the tulips- i'd leave them in a pot, or put them in another decorative one. Reason is, they are annuals here- the foliage will come back and you may get a rare second year bloom, but it's unusual, and you'll just end up digging out the bulb to chuck it if you plant them in the ground (unless you like forlorn looking foliage with no blooms). Daffodils, species tulips and lots of the minor bulbs come back happily and multiply, but not the big showy tulips- it's too warm here.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
onions from seed; one more try
I've struggled to grow onions from seed and have tried...
thomis
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™