What's wrong with my brug?

kasha77August 18, 2012

I had my husband remove and destroy this yellow brug today. It became infected with some sort of stem blight. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommysmommy(Colorado)

Wow, if you don't know Kathy, we may all be stumped!

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 10:37AM
kasha77

Oh I don't know everything! :) I asked around on face book and I think it's a Fusarium virus. Well, I had Don tear the whole plant out and destroy it! Even the soil's contaminated now. I can never plant another angel in it's place! Good to share the knowledge!

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 1:22PM
rudy625

Hi Kathy,
sorry about your brug.If I may ask,which yellow was it ?
Dan

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 3:57PM
kasha77

Hey Dan- it was one of my noid yellows. (probably a Charles Grimaldi) Thank God that I have others on the far end of my property that are not affected. Hey- by the way- did you send me another email? I got an email from a "Dan" from Garden web saying he'd be in my area- and that we should get together for coffee. Just checking!

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 7:46PM
rudy625

NO KATHY,wasn't me. Good thing you checked with me. The internet is a great thing,but you MUST be careful.Of course there may be another Dan on some other forum,but my radar would be up on this one,just to be safe.
Dan

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:44AM
kasha77

Dan- I didn't think it was you. (too far away a trip for a cup of coffee!) It came from garden web, so I just unsubscribed from the email. Thanks for letting me know!

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 1:28PM
MissMudPuppy(z7 - L.I.)

Good afternoon dear Kathy! Sorry I haven't been around. Hope you're doing better :-). Whoa, that definitely looks like a Fusarium virus. Thank God nothing else on your property has been infected! I've been watching my Brugs for signs since we had a veggie garden not too many feet away that had a terrible time with viruses this yr. Not sure what I can do now to try & ward anything off, esp since it's nearing the end of Sept & our weather has turned significantly cooler with daytime temps in the 70's & low humidity & nighttime temps between the 50's-60's. Both Brugs seem healthy with numerous flushes of new leaves. There's lots of little buds coming but I don't know if they're going to make it into full blossom considering our early autumn weather. Earwigs & leaf hoppers have been nibbling various areas of the leaves but I just crush them with pliers. I don't remember if I shared these with you before but if not, here's some pictures of what my Brugs looked like back in August:

Enjoy your day!

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 1:33PM
green_thumb_guy(Z5 Ont)

Hi Kasha,
I agree with the diagnosis you received. Somilarly, I had a brug that came down with the same scars.
Fred, gave me similar instructions.

This year, I planted a spare brug in the same spot to see what happens - with respect tithe soil being infected

We'll see this fall.

I did dispose of the brug- just FYI. Nothing I did changed the scarring

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 7:00PM
kasha77

Thanks everyone for your 2 cents! I've been taking cuttings for next year. I've been adding a capful of liquid copper in each bucket of water, so the stems will take it up. Maybe that will act as an inoculation against anything that might try to invade.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 2:38PM
More Discussions
brugs for trade
I have these Brugs. Looking to trade. Infinity Phanomenal Tiara Rosa...
maile_2010
WANTED: Rooted Cuttings. Any Variety
I spent a small fortune on small UNROOTED cuttings,...
poohbearlvr
Brug Tree Vs Scrub
This is my first year growing brugs and I'm addicted....
halley_rose
Angel Trumpet Plant Help Please!
This is a plant my mother gave me right before she...
kevbridg
WANTED: Well rooted brug plants-can't root a cutting!
I love these plants and have tried multiple times to...
skipper08
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™