Losing tree to Phytopthora--what to plant?

katiepipSeptember 3, 2012

We are losing our 10 year old white alder due to phytopthora. It is planted in our lawn, and once we get it removed, I would like to plant another tree to provide shade in front of our house. My question is...what can I plant now that won't get this disease? I live on the central coast in Paso Robles, CA. Any tips on what tree and if there are ways I can treat the soil once the alder is out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

List of resistant plants in link. To a certain extent, it may be a cultural problem (excess water, insufficient drainage). Davis states fungicide fosetyl-al (Aliette) may help, but a tree that can stand up to living in a lawn is likely the way to go.

River birch, Ginko, Liquidambar, Magnolia listed as resistant, but Liquidambar has a lot of problems all its own. Some Magnolia can get huge with huge root systems, choose carefully. Ginko (male cultivars only, females had stinky fruit) are quite nice. Also check the Sunset Western Garden Book, I think they have a category of "trees that do well in lawns".

Here is a link that might be useful: phytothoptera resistant plants

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 8:59PM
katiepip

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention I had planted a birch tree next to my alder just a few months back (before I noticed my alder was dying), however I don't think it is a river birch. It may be a silver birch. Is this likely to get the disease as well?

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 10:31PM
calistoga_al

Birch is likely to have a very short life in your lawn. The folks planted three here that were lovely while they lasted. Al

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™