Transplanting a Venus Fly Trap

DawnStorm(7/MD)September 18, 2006

Last winter I bought a Venus fly trap and it's doing great--it's been living large all summer outside, catching flies right and left. I noticed not so long ago, that it looks rootbound and I was thinking of transplanting it. When is a good time to do this and do I have to use special soil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

Ideally, when it is dormant, in winter. But as long as you prepare a larger pot first and move the whole of its contents, as one unit, you can do it anytime. The idea is to minimize root disturbance and when it's asleep or carefully removed, it doesn't notice anything.

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 5:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jonocross

From what I've read... DONT DO IT!

From what I've had happen when I tried it... BE CAREFULL LOL. When I tried transplanting my first VFT I damaged his roots. Belive me thats way easy to do. I lost my first fly trap because of that. The fly trap roots are more fragile then you might think. Seriously.

If you're intent on doing it... Yes, durring winter domancy is best. If it doesn't go dormant this winter, yes you can still do it just make sure you move all of it, as carefully and without disturbance as possible to a pot of larger size.

The medium I use is half spagnum peat (not the green stuff) half washed sand box sand. Seems to keep them happy.

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Nelenthes 5 basal shoots on 1 plant!
My newish nepenthes, not sure what kind since it was...
mora2817
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™