First ever trip to Broadwell's. Any Tips?

ajwillys(7B-8)March 28, 2008

Hi,

I will be making my first ever trip down to Angier next week to go to Broadwell's. We're taking an Expedition and a trailer and I have a list of plants I (and friends) want. Is their anything else I should know? I'm a little nervous because I've been told the plants aren't labeled well and I'm not too good at identifying by sight although I've tried to gain some knowledge of the particular stuff I want.

Also, how good are the deals really?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimtnc(7b Raleigh tttf)

Take several pics of the plants/trees you want to identify with. Also, don't go on Saturday if possible and remember most of the guys there are gone for lunch from 12-1. Maybe I got lucky but the head nursery guy (speaks good english ) was there at luch time when I was there, I guess in case anyone came to pick something up. About all you'll get is pointed in the direction of what you want, but if it's multiple plants not sure how that's gonna turn out.

If Sam is there he might be able to help with the interpreting (he's a latino too and speaks good english) and maybe point you in the right direction, but he also runs a landscape company so he may be pretty busy.

I guess the reason they don't label the plants is they don't stay around long, but it seems like they could label the general slot.

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 11:55AM
tamelask(z8a NC)

What you do is ask when you get to the main guy, where this and that is, and make notes on your sheet. He'll tell you it's so many rows down, past this or that. Come back as often as you need to, to him- he and Sam are the main go to guys- pretty much everyone else is hispanic, so unless you speak spanish you're outta luck. Oh, and if he doesn't have it, ck across the rd at old stage. Same deal, essentially- it's run by Coy's nephew. Few more english speakers work there, but it's pretty easy to ask as you drive in where to head. For the most part, you'll be driving everywhere- they are big! Don't be nervous- have fun and go grab some great deals. It is a lot more sane on weekdays.

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 1:40PM
ajwillys(7B-8)

Thanks for the tips. It sounds like its going to be a real adventure. Hopefully, it's worth it. I'm going on Monday so it shouldn't be too crowded.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 2:00PM
ajwillys(7B-8)

Ok, one last question. Do they accept credit cards or just cash?

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 2:15PM
tamelask(z8a NC)

cash and checks. no credit cards that i recall unless it was added recently.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
Errosion on active creek
I need help saving the large trees on the banks of...
kellyinnc
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™