Cactus ID, please?

sugi_c(9a)June 17, 2013

Hi all -

I visited my parents in Southern California, and my mother had this cactus planted here, there and everywhere. Initially, I wasn't keen on it but after a few days, the look started to grow on me. She had it outside in full sun, full shade and in every imaginable light indoors, too.

Strange how it didn't appear to care where it was.

Just because it looked so resilient, I took a few cuttings are brought it home. Now I have a little pot inside in full sun, and one outside in partial shade/sun. I planted them into a really bizarre mix of rocks, perlite, Turface, bark and peat. (Don't ask - I didn't have enough gritty mix and combined what I did have to make a mix.) It's a well-draining mix, haha.

But I have no idea what it is except to say it's a cactus!

Anyone recognize it?

Thank you!

Grace

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Opuntia monacantha varigata var monstrosa. Hear is mine. It started life a small as yours. Don't ask how long ago.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:49PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Not sure which is current & can't quite tell if yours is variegated, but try Opuntia monacantha in a search engine. You may see Austrocylindropuntia as the newer name...not sure.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:49PM
teisa(6)

Wow that is a gorgeous pot of cactus/succulants. It looks so good growing together.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:47PM
sugi_c(9a)

Thanks, guys!
Wow, that is GIGANTIC! Um, yah, mine are small, though my mom did have some rather big ones, but not even close to that. I won't ask how long ago, haha, but I am ok with it taking its time as if it gets half that big, I'll have to move, lol.

That's exciting!

Thanks for the name, Rosemarie and wanton. I knew y'all would recognize it. :-)

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:32AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

It is not a particularly fast grower for me. The sun does do pretty things to it. Mine gets lots of fall, winter and spring sun, but gets a redpite when it gets hot in the summer time.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 9:14AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

DG has it hardy to 20F. I have never taken it that low because of its neighbors. I am thinking about taking it out of that pot an putting it in a big pot that stays outside on the winter sunny patio. I wheel this one in and out the other option is to change out the tender SA neighbors for things like sempervirons, E. runyonii, E lilacina, e. agavoides and ice plants that need drying out in winter but can deal with the cold..

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
What's your growing area look like
Includes patios greenhouses ect. Notice the lack of...
spikef35
How long do Epiphyllum cuttings last for?
Hi everyone before I got bogged down with school I...
snowboardinggirl
Is it ok to plant this in the ground?
It's opuntia englmanii in the clay based houston soil....
spikef35
What kind of Succulent is this?
I've been trying to figure this out for a while but...
yonatin
Beginner: Growing Succulents in Semi-Hydro
Hi - new to the forum but have been enjoying reading...
lavendarlilies
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™