How and when to prune Artemisia 'Powis Castle'

nicolas1(z24 CA)September 25, 2006

I like this plant, but it looks really bad right now: leggy, with lots of dead, grey foliage in the center. I've been away for a couple of months, so I'm not sure if it was over- or under-watered, or if it is just spent. I would like to rejuvenate it, but I can't find anything on when it's OK to do this in my climate zone: coastal SoCal (right in the Ventura fogbelt--a.k.a. fungusbelt). I'm also not sure how aggressively I can cut it back. Any thoughts? Thanks, Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davissue_zone9(z9 Sunset 14)

I would cut it back severely and then keep it watered so it can regrow and look attractive before it gets cold. It roots as easily as coleus, so you might want to make a few cuttings just in case it decides to take offense and die on you. For me, nine times out of ten it regrows, but that tenth time, it never comes back, especially if it is a very old plant and is very overgrown.

Bookmark   September 25, 2006 at 11:43PM
gardenguru1950(SunsetZ16)

I don't let my Powis Castle even get leggy. I treat it as I do all other "subshrubs" (including marguerites, many lavenders, geraniums).

I pinch them on a regular basis -- 3-4 times per year. They're constantly putting out new lateral growth and consequently stay bushy.

Beats the heck out of chopping back legginess and wondering if it's going to resprout.

Joe

Bookmark   September 26, 2006 at 12:17AM
nicolas1(z24 CA)

Thanks for the advice. Once more into the breach (with my shears)!

Bookmark   September 26, 2006 at 12:42PM
berndoodle

I used my shovel. :)

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 12:04AM
talf

Help!!! Is it okay to prune powis castle's at the end of fall, beginning of winter? I cut off all my dead leaves, but now it seems to be going grey and brittle all around, since I brought mine indoors for the winter. (I live in Long Island, NY, and have my powis castle in a pot all year round, so I had it out for the summer, but now it's getting cold and I didn't want it to get hurt, so I brought it indoors and next to a window that can give it plenty of sunlight, but it still looks like it drying up slowly and dying, or is that normal and I should be pruning it down? Thank you for any help!!

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 4:44PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

talf, this plant is rated for zones 4-9, so it should be able to overwinter on Long Island outside. Probably not in a pot, but in the ground.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for unusual and well-producing veggies for northbay?
We're about to plant the same old things: beans, tomatoes,...
carolsun
Shrubs for zone 9b (Riverside)
What shrubs have these attributes: Evergreen Height:...
Gary
What's the deal with milkweed
When is a good time to locate seeds or starts for milkweed?...
sf_rhino
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Sponsored Products
Metal Glass 2 Table Lamp
Lightology
Windsor Signature Dark Mahogany with Brass Hardware Valet Stand
Overstock.com
Reel Waterproof RGB ColorChase LED Strip Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
Rolling Rustic Bookshelf
$499.99 | Dot & Bo
Jamie Young Company | La Fitte Pendant
$237.50 | YLighting