Coloration of Sulpher Chrysalis

gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)December 24, 2013

My small Senna bicapsularis 'Worley's Butter Cream' bush has attracted the attention of Sulphur butterflies this year. I am aware the cats are yellow if they feed on flowers and greenish for foliage, although currently the flowers are gone and the yellow cats really stand out against the green leaves!

I have seen photos of the chrysalis varying in color from green to pinkish. One I found on the bush is very green and blends in; another on a Phormium 'Guardsman' is quite reddish. So I was wondering, does the location of the chrysalis also help to determine the color or was it just a coincidence?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gyr_falcon(Sunset 23 USDA 9)

(Because it is easier to just upload from the PC, I had to put this photo in a separate post.)

The prep stage lasted for several days, and I was beginning to worry. But as you can see above, it resulted in a lovely-colored one!

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 12:36AM
runmede(7a Virginia)

Many species of butterfly chrysalis camouflage to match their background attachment. Colder temperatures can make the chrysalis and caterpillars darker in color so that they can absorb more heat. I've seen the butterflies that emerging in colder temps also taking a darker color on their wings.

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 11:11AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

What a beautiful chrysalis! I've had green ones, yellow ones, and pink ones, but never one that dark!

I agree, it's most likely the cooler weather that made it so dark, but it might be the background, too - the only white variegated frit chrsyalides I've had pupated on the underside of a white paper towel.

Sherry

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™