Sarracenia Strong odor?

RedBlueSeptember 28, 2013

So Sarracenia are suppose to have a really strong odor to them right? For attracting insects.

I have them in a pot over a year old. For the past month a strong odor has been coming from them. This is normal correct?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

They don't stink, the lips of the plant has a sweet nectar that attracts the insects. Your water may be stagnant. They normally do not stink.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 5:28PM
hunterkiller03(9)

You kinda answered your own question, they do produce an odor to attract insects. From the link you provided, they look like Sarracenia alata, they have a feint sweet smell to attract prey.

Anyways... you didn't explain what part of the plat this odor is coming from. It could be stagnate water as tommyr said. But it could be coming from the pitcher itself or the opening of the pitcher.

Sarracenias do produce a rank odor from digesting & decaying insects trapped inside the pitchers. So yeah... it's normal.

So you are growing Sarracenia alata?

This post was edited by hunterkiller03 on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 22:31

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 10:50PM
RedBlue

Thanks

The odor was coming from the openings of the pitcher. So most likely it was digestion liquids. Also just did a soil, water change just to be sure.

Don't think I have the sweet smelling nectar ones, cause I've nevered smelt anything sweet from them.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
Nepenthes for Beginner
I'm looking to start growing nepenthes. What I've researched...
mildew
Pitcher Plant for a Beginner...
I'm new to carnivorous plants and was interested in...
iheartroscoe
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™