Solanum jasminoides (potato vine)

marijon_gardenerSeptember 26, 2012

I would like to use this vine to cover a down hill embankment next to the street. I know it can be invasive and curl it's way around adjacent plants, but if I tend it, can this work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bob_B(Sunset 14, Ca.)

I'm surprised you have had no response from anyone who has used potato vine under the conditions you describe. I haven't. But my guess is it would be a poor choice. It would, I think, tend to look scraggly. It is a climber. Dwarf vinca would in my opinion be a better, neater ground cover, and would hold the soil better.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 12:08PM
cottagecindy

my neighbor has it between our properties in front of an old huge tall tree next to the sidewalk (trying to give you a feel where it is)
it is sooooo scraggly, ugly, thorny, we call it the monster that attacks the passerbys. and each year it gets cut back to almost nothing but holy smokes....
not the right place for it. I'm grateful she cuts it back. and unless you really prune it --probably daily, it grows out of control and to whatever direction it wants (my parked car) as i said the monster.........

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 8:45PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Mine is too woody underneath to work as a groundcover. It would grow too high- four-five feet high, and you'd have nothing but a place for rats to nest with a thin covering of green foliage. The flowers also hang down, so you would not see them. I think you would be very unhappy with it.
Renee

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 11:08PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

We grow it as a vine on one of the posts of our patio. I can't imagine it grown as a groundcover. As a vine it is scraggly but I grow it anyway for the white flowers.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 12:43AM
More Discussions
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™