what kind of carnivourous plants

swamp_thing(z6 OH)September 12, 2006

I would like to know what kind of carnivorous plants should I get?I live on zone 6 and don't want to get any that may not survive or grow for me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

It really depends upon where and how you want to grow them. What I mean is doyouwant to grow them outside? In a bog garden? Do you want to grow them inside? In a terrarium or at a window sill?

Many CP's will do well all year long at a window sill. Some grow well in a terrarium. Some grow well outside all year long and others need to be brought inside to escape the cold. Some require a dormancy and some do not.

There are many good beginner plants, like D.intermedia, capensis, spatulata, binata, filiformis, aliciae, adelae, rotundifolia, burmannii, pigmy sundews.... Also, Mexican butterworts, P. primuliflora, many bladderworts, S. purpurea, leucophylla, N. ventrata....

Some can be purchased at a local greenhouse / nursery, like at Lowes or Home Depot. Or, you may want to try an online store or Ebay or work with a forum member.

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 9:06PM
swamp_thing(z6 OH)

I think indoors would be better for me and maybe taken it outdoors in the spring for some fresh air? I really would like to find a forum member to trade with but I cannot find anyone yet?Thank you so much for your list and will start finding informatio about them all!

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 9:00AM
orquidman2004(z8 Coastal Ga.)

Try the backyard bogs!! Luis

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 1:52PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

Feel free to Email me for some starter plants.

Bookmark   September 14, 2006 at 9:41PM
tommyr_gw

Try a tropical Sundew like D. adelae, easily grows on a window sill! A Nepenthes will grow in a sunny window also, try a Alata x Ventrata!

Tom

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Can dead sphagnum turn into live sphagnum?
I'm noticing some green patches in my LFS. Is it live...
outsiders71
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
My huge pitcher from propagation (N. ventrata)
Hi I'm new in this forum and I want to show you my...
NepenthesGrower
anyone have any pitcher plants or cuttings to spare
Hello all Just wondering if anyone had any pitcher...
renagirl-2008
Sarracenia Barba brown tips
I bought a Sarracenia Barba earlier this year and it...
juneyp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™