Podocarpus in a VERY tight area between building and wall

tcjohnsson(Hawaii)September 27, 2008

I am looking at planting a row of podocarpus "maki" along a long wall. I am located in Honolulu Hawaii, near the state capitol and in the urban core - a relatively dry area. The space I am planting in is VERY tight. Between the building and the wall is only 4' 6". And of that space I need to maintain at least 2.5 feet (30") clear for walkspace. I was told I can plant the maki right next to the wall (about 12"-18" away) and trim/prune the bottom branches high enough so that people can walk underneath without the leaves/branches clipping their heads. The ones I am looking at are about 8-9 feet tall (25 gallon) and run $200/each. I need about 30 of them to cover a long wall section along a duplex.

I also looked at other Podocarpus including macrophylla (the "non-maki" version?) and gracilior. I was told that the macrophylla would be a better bet because they will grow taller than maki and I ultimately want them to get to about 25 feet in height.

Can someone recommend the best option? Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

You need to think about the root system, not just the visible portion of the tree. The root systems could eventually damage the wall, sidewalk, and building foundations.

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Where in Southern CA can I buy a bag of Dried Calimyrna figs?
My closest stupid town has one supermarket chain and...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
Has anyone tried gooseberries and currants?
I love fruiting plants so much but being in the Bay...
tog5632
So Cal - TOP 3 Tomatoes
If you live in Southern California, and you could plant...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™