Star Jasmine Growth

jbw1984September 6, 2013

Hello!

I have a potted star jasmine plant on my balcony that I purchased in May. It was about a foot-and-a-half tall when I bought it, with flowers. I repotted it, it eventually dropped the flowers in late June and now seems to be very QUICKLY releasing new growth.

The problem I see is that the new growth is very sparse in leaves. Whereas the plant I bought has nodes and leaves about every inch or so or even denser, the new growth sometimes leaves 2-3" between nodes.

I am trying to wrap the new growth around a trellis, but I am wondering if I need to be doing something else to get more leaves. The idea is to cover up the hideous wall on my balcony.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

How much sun does it get? It covers a 2 story brick wall here completely. Blue Jays build nests in it. It took several years to cover. I installed vertical wires standing off the wall about an inch to help it climb. When it is in bloom we open the patio door to let it perfume the house. Al

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 10:13AM
jbw1984

It gets a ton of sun! It is a south-facing balcony and gets probably about 7-8 hours of direct sunlight, and then it's very bright after that too (just not direct).

Some of the new shoots have grown 8-10 inches in the last month.

I do wish it would bloom longer through the summer, but I'm not asking for advice about that :-)

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 12:16PM
calistoga_al

I have grown dozens of Star Jasmine over the years, most as a ground cover, I have no idea how well it works as a container plant. You may get some answers if posted on the container growing forum. Al

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 2:06PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

The main stem after it grows a while gets side stems. These side stems are what bloom, and they are also what make the plant fuller of foliage. The first stems are just the start.

Patience! This plant can take 3 years to really get going, even given good care and a location it likes.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 3:17PM
jbw1984

Thank you everyone for your posts. I reposted this in the Container Gardening forum, because that does seem like a more appropriate place. But I read this forum too and I welcome more replies.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 10:17PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

It will get leaves. Mine too are sending out long tendrils with no leaves right now, but they leaf out later.
Renee

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 10:58PM
socks

What Renee said, the long tendrils are coming now so don't be worried about leaves. They will come. Star jasmine is unstoppable IMHO. I have it in a pot and edging our entire corner lot.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™