Trying to ID some shady succulents with flowers?

lithiginMarch 28, 2010

Hi friends,

I am prepping my Fayetteville house for sale, and trying to buy the same annuals that were here last year when we bought it, but I don't know what they are called!. I have a large magnolia, and these were ringing the base within a bricked circular bed. The area gets some early and very late sun, but primarily dappled shade. They were individual annuals, light-green succulent and very low to the ground. They had small, petunia-like flowers in shades of white and pale pink. They required very little watering or care, looked good, and lasted until fall, I guess. I didn't notice them die, didn't pull them out, and they're not here any more. :)

Thanks for any suggestions! The Lowe's gal suggested sedum, but they were not sedum, and nearly all of the annuals right now are sun-loving.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mbuckmaster(7B/NC)

It sounds like sedum to me too. There are dozens of varieties and many look very different, so do a Google picture search for sedum and you may find them.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 1:56PM
tamelask(z8a NC)

I'm thinking they could have been portulaca, but they shouldn't have flowered well with that little sun. They do come in all shades. Delosperma is another one- it's succulent, comes in lots of shades, but it wouldn't have many flowers in the shade at all. Million bells look just like mini petunias, but their leaves aren't succulent. I've only seen them in more rich colors, though so i don't know that it was the one.

For your spruce up, though- you could use sedum- there are a couple kinds that will do well in the shade of a tree. I don't think i've ever seen a sedum that had flowers like a petunia so that's why i' m a little doubtful that's what it was, but you could def use that instead. Good thing is most are perennial, so the new folks wouldn't have to replant yr after yr.

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 6:56PM
torajima

Delosperma 'Oberg' will bloom in part shade (as long as they have good drainage), and has pink or white flowers, but they look like daisies, not petunias.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 10:10AM
carol23_gw

Perhaps Begonias.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Rain barrels and soaker hoses
Here I am a aqain and gonna pester y'all one more time....
jimtnc
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
Errosion on active creek
I need help saving the large trees on the banks of...
kellyinnc
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™