Plant ID please :)

christy2828(8a)March 18, 2013

I see these large bushes around town flowering their little hearts out in winter. Can anyone tell me what it is? I'm NE coastal NC (Elizabeth City). This was taken last week, my daughter took it from the backseat while I was going 45 miles an hour, sorry it isn't clearer. Thanks!! Christy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

Those are Camelias

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:50PM
christy2828(8a)

Thank you!! They are gorgeous, and a welcome sight during winter. I may have to get a few :)
Christy

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:22PM
trianglejohn

They can be kind of expensive because they are pretty slow growing - so when you're looking at one in a pot, know that someone took years and years to get it that big.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 4:59PM
therock050383

Definitely Camelias.....Camellia japonica to be specific. They bloom in fall, winter, and early early spring, which is cool cause its not too common. They are evergreens with glossy leaves.

That pic is a little blurry, but camelias are so nice they are easy to spot.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 5:04PM
christy2828(8a)

Too bad they grow so slow!! We're military, and will most likely be transferred in two years. I know it was a blurry pic, but they definitely stand out, I figured they'd be pretty easy to figure out :). They're very pretty, I love how the petals pool around the base of the bush! Christy

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 9:38AM
msjay2u(7)

I have to say that I also have Camillas in my yard and I used Miracle Grow Tree and Shrub fertilizer spikes in the spring and in the fall and my bushes have grown really fast. Not exponentially but they are a nice size AND they bloom starting in the fall through the spring. My plants right now are still in bloom. I have used those fertilizer stakes around all my plants they grow nicely and I don't really have a green thumb that produces magic so when I see something that works I stick to it LOL!!! these plants are a bit pricey but you can propagate by air layering.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 12:15AM
christy2828(8a)

Thanks!! I have a wannabe green thumb, but I really stink at it. My husband is better, but he really doesn't have to time to keep up with the stuff I start!! I'll give those a shot, I was at Lowe's looking at them the other day. I'll go back and pick some up. Thanks for the tip!!

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:38AM
shirleytownsend(8A)

While they are slow growing they bloom from the get go and you can start cuttings quite easily. Go for it if for no other reason than to leave a little beauty behind for those that come after you.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 6:27AM
christy2828(8a)

I think I will :) Hopefully Lowe's will clearance some out soon!! I've done quite a bit to improve this property, in a few years someone else will have an abundant supply of blackberries and blueberries! I did pick up those Miracle Grow spikes, hopefully the Tea Olives and indian hawthorne's will bloom nicely this year :) Christy

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 11:39AM
msjay2u(7)

I agree with Shirley. You might ha able to ask someone if you can either air Layer or get a cutting. Anyone you will love it

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 12:09PM
msjay2u(7)

I messed that all up. Spell check...I think you get my drift thou

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 1:10PM
christy2828(8a)

Lol, I do :) I'll ask around, I really don't know anyone with one in their yard. I'll see if anyone I know has one. Thanks :) Christy

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:15PM
christy2828(8a)

I got one!! We ran two types of Azalea's down the back of the house (morning sun) and then I picked up a Rosehill Red Camellia just off center of the corner of the house. It's about 4 feet tall, and I got it at the Norfolk Botanical Garden annual plant sale on Mother's Day. It is so pretty, I can't wait to see it in bloom!!! Christy

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:36AM
shirleytownsend(8A)

You will enjoy it as long as you are there and in years to come others will enjoy it. When you come back to the area you can drive by and see how well it does. Camellia's and Azalea's both will be there forever.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:29AM
More Discussions
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
onions from seed; one more try
I've struggled to grow onions from seed and have tried...
thomis
gardening in the carolinas
Yeaaa, finally found this. Now I can find what is needed...
mary grether
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
Looking for orange lily
About 7 years ago I bought an orange lily from a horticulturist...
bonnie_il
Sponsored Products
Botanicae Indoor Watering Can
$16.99 | zulily
Kenroy Home Spot 6 in. Oil Rubbed Bronze Spot Light 20506ORB
$34.20 | Home Depot
Fall Pumpkin and Berry Table Silk Plant
Overstock.com
Tall Banana Tree
FRONTGATE
Dogwood 20-inch Wreath
Overstock.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Organica Natural 2 ft. 6 in. x 12 ft.
Home Depot
Artichoke Style Lamp
IFN Modern
Stars Boot Tray
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™