Infographic about Monarchs

bernergrrl(z5 IL)December 9, 2013

Hi everyone,

Made an infographic to help the Monarchs. If you see anything that needs changing, let me know, and I'll see if I can do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Save the Monarchs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

The text "International Union for COnservation of Nature" contains a capital O that may be in error.

The text "Monarch's migratory phenomenon" should read "Monarchs' ", to be consistent with the correct " students' " text lower in the graphic.

The Monarch image element has a filesize of over 1 megabyte and is slow to render, a distraction when first encountering the graphic online. The image size is 1638x1177 pixels, and that would fill most computer screens.
You have used Piktochart to render it as 255x185 pixels on a computer screen, and the original image file should be resized to that prior to placing it in the graphic.

If the entire graphic is intended mainly to be used as a printed material, then of course the image should stay large for print quality.

I noticed that the graphic rendered differently in various web browsers. This may not be a problem as it looked OK in IE and FireFox browsers, that would be over 90% of your readers.

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 11:25PM
bernergrrl(z5 IL)

Thanks Larry Gene! Helps to have those eyes and all that techical info from you. Not sure about how to deal with the image resolution. I will have to work on it later--some people think the word extinction of the migration is too strong.

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 6:57AM
bernergrrl(z5 IL)

Just looked at it again, and I think the "Monarch's" is okay because the species is being discussed, so singular? I think?

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 7:53AM
larry_gene

Tough call on that apostrophe. Running that text through MS Word with grammar check could get a preferred solution.

The image is easily dealt with using any image manipulation program--even MS Paint would work. Just "resize" the image to 255x185 and save to a different filename and insert that in the graphic. The filesize will end up a lot smaller.

In an Opera browser, the image broke your graphic and filled the entire horizontal area and appeared magnified. In browsers where the final graphic looks OK, the graphic can jump around during the time it takes the image to fill out.

As far as the politics/opinions of the wording goes, the compromises are up to you!

This post was edited by larry_gene on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 23:57

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
A romantic moment
Lots of activity in my garden. We released 7 male Monarchs...
jane__ny
Journey of the Butterly
PBS stations are repeating The Incredible Jouney of...
flowerpowerx
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Aristolochia fimbriata seeds for trade
I have a lot (probably 100+) of fresh seed from my...
CrazyPlantLady1
Seed Trade
I have a bunch of new packets (unopened, this season)...
msmorningsong
Sponsored Products
CAP Barbell Black/White 1 in. Plate Rack - RK-1B
$36.79 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Rugs Handmade Wool Scandanavian Cube Pouf - POF100192
$115.00 | Hayneedle
Mustee Durastone 10C Single Basin Drop In Utility Sink - 10C
$81.00 | Hayneedle
Bulova Quartermaster Alarm Clock - B7910
$93.10 | Hayneedle
Couristan Timeless Treasures 4325/0500 Vintage Baktiari Area Rug - Ebony Multico
Hayneedle
Educational Insights Kabam! The Crazy Fast Word Building Challenge! - EI-2922
$18.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Cambridge Light Blue/Ivory 9
Home Depot
Walnut Street Power/Lite Nightstand - White - 8530
$319.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™