My VFT Will Not Eat

plantperson333September 22, 2007

My VFT Will Not Eat. I have 3 VFT and they will not close to eat the flie I am giving it. What is the problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carnivorousplants

Most store-bought flytraps can't digest insects well because they are to weak and neglected.I managed to get my flytrap to digest insects but they only digest once and not twice like they are supposed to.Wait for new growth to appear and those new traps will work.Only the old traps stay still.And don't be worried if they digest a fly and the trap turns black, it is just weak and can not digest very well.Once it is in stable conditions and starts to catch bugs, they will be able to digest properly.
- Adrian

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 9:40PM
mutant_hybrid(8)

And, get the plant in a morning sun window the first week, an all day sun window the second week, and outside after that if possible. Inside, you will not have enough light to allow the plant to grow and digest insects unless you place strong supplemental florescent lights over it while it is in a good sunny window.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 7:25AM
tommyr_gw

Carnivorous plants do not need insects to thrive. Sunlight is their major food source. Secondly, VFTs do not do well indoors so if you grow it indoors, good luck....

Bookmark   September 24, 2007 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
Conditions for Cephalotus seeds?
What conditions are necessary for germination of the...
townhouserOnt
Help with N. alata
Hi, We have recently added the wonderful pitcher plant...
Nagem
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™