When is the latest time you can indoor sow milkweed

novicegardenerevanDecember 29, 2010

i have always had trouble in finding the right time to sow seeds, particularly perennial seeds. I have always worried that if i sow my milkweed seeds( i am talking about the perennial varieties) too late that the seedlings cant withstand my winter and die. But after researching a bit it seems that gardeners even sow perennial seeds even in june relying on their young plants to come up next year. My main goal is to grow milkweed seedlings and eventually plants that can make it back next year. I live in the seattle area in WA and i have not stratified my seeds yet( oddly enough on the packet of asclepias tuberosa it says you need to soak it in hot water for 36 hours than sow at 70 f, no stratification)so i will probably do it for a month than sow around February.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Your plans sound good to me. I don't think there is a latest time. I have some seed that germinated this past fall. I have them growing in the sunroom.

However, there is a best time to sow the seeds. I usually get them started in early February. These means that they have been stratified previous to that date. I start Tropical MW from early Feb through April. But, I use a lot of this, both in my garden and in sales at our local Farmer's Mkt. Common MW does really well with winter sowing. It takes two seasons to get Tuberosa to a good size. And I think a cold period would be good for these seeds--even winter sowing. I stratify my Tuberosa seeds.

The best source of info for seed starting is the Prairie Moon catalog. Can't beat it. And another source for info on just MW seeds is Butterfly Encounters.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Milkweed

Bookmark   December 30, 2010 at 11:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
novicegardenerevan

thank you! this info helped clear things out for me.

Bookmark   December 30, 2010 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™