cocoons

button20(zone 7b)December 14, 2012

Hi I am Austin and I live in the Raleigh/ wakeforest area of NC, where can I go to find moth cocoons in trees? I am really interested in locating promethea, cecropia, and polyphemus cocoons but I don�t know where I should go to find them. I heard that they are relatively easy to find during fall and winter, but I have yet to find any.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

Relatively easy? :D

Of the 3 you mentioned, prometheas are the "easiest" to find but don't count on coming home with a bag of cocoons.

If you are looking for multiple hits in one outing, I suggest someplace with many acres of trees that has lots of trees with low branches. Trees need to have dropped their leaves because you are looking for the odd thing that has not dropped for some reason.

Sometimes polys connect their cocoons to the branch while other times, they are content to have their leaf/cocoon drop to the ground. Makes for fewer of them to be found hanging in the trees.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 4:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
button20(zone 7b)

Thank you!

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™