Butterflies on .... Tithonia

christie_sw_mo(Z6)December 11, 2010

Since winter is a bit slow for butterfly fans, I thought I'd go through some old photos to post. I hope some others will join in and add some more photos if you're interested. We can see how many different species of butterflies we have photos of for each type of flower.

Let's see how many we can find for Tithonia:

Monarch

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
siam_cannas(13)

oooh nice pics and great idea. my tithonia diversifolia is just begining to flower so i will have pics soon
Siam.

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 4:11PM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Very nice pics Christie. I grew some Fiesta Del Sol this past summer, and most all of the butterflies ignored it completely. It's funny that there is a difference in butterfly food preference depending upon where you live.~~Angie

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 5:02PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I've got quite a few of these pictures, Christie.
Here's a pearl crescent -

Here are some gulf frits -

A variegated frit -

A sleepy orange -

A giant swallowtail -

A pipevine swallowtail -

And here's a black female tiger swallowtail -

I didn't plant any Mexican sunflowers/tithonia last year, but I'll have to this year for sure - nothing attracts butterflies any better!
Sherry

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 6:10PM
bob_71(z7 MD)

Beautiful pictures!...both of you!

Bob

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 10:45AM
mcronin(6/7swVA)

I LOVE your idea for these threads. Thanks to you and MissSherry I got my butterfly fix for a week or so. BTW, We recently purchased a picture that a professional photographer took of a Tithonia in our butterfly sanctuary with one Monarch nectaring and another Monarch waiting in line to feed next. The photographer entitled it "The Buffet Line."

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 10:51AM
JonBeard

Mike has a wonderful garden to shoot in. :)

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 4:56PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Welcome JonBeard! That first one must be The Buffet Line. Beautiful!

I'm so glad to see a good response to these threads. Maybe we can think of enough different flowers to stretch through the coldest part of winter. My kids take over the computer on weekends but when I get time, I'll look through some photos to put on Photobucket.

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 6:15PM
imabirdnut

Awesome pictures!!!
Maybe next year, I'll have some pics on the Tithonia I will grow from seeds shared with me by you BF friends!!! ;o)

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 9:06PM
mcronin(6/7swVA)

I think Jon Beard is one of the best photographers EVER. If any of you want contact information about Jon and his work, e-mail me at mcronin@radford.edu

Bookmark   December 13, 2010 at 12:06PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I've always called this a Giant Sulfur but I don't think that's the real name - maybe Cloudless Sulfur: I love to watch these when they fly. They look like a tissue floating in the breeze.

Bookmark   December 13, 2010 at 1:32PM
mcronin(6/7swVA)

The beauty of the butterflies, flowers and the superb photographs are helping me cope with my late fall/winter butterfly withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks,

mike

Bookmark   December 13, 2010 at 3:56PM
fighting8r(10 Fort Myers Florida)

Man those pics are AWESOME. My mexican sunflower never does well at all. Although when I do get a bloom or two they are all over it. Thanks for sharing!!

Bookmark   December 14, 2010 at 9:18PM
fighting8r(10 Fort Myers Florida)

p.s. Christie that does look like a Cloudless to me. Has that greenish hue.

Bookmark   December 14, 2010 at 9:44PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I just checked the BF Gardening forum since I've not visited in awhile, to find the "Butterfly on...." series of posts. This is the first one I've checked and I have to admire all the photographs posted.

My Tithonias have never done exceptionally well either. They come up and grow and look beautiful until they start producing flowers, and then the lower foliage begins to brown, and then the middle leaves begin to get crispy on the edges, and pretty soon, the entire plant begins to look almost "skeleton-like", producing smaller leaves until by late summer it looks very, very sad. It keeps blooming nonetheless, and the butterflies don't seem to mind the ratty plant. I've grown it in three different places in the yard now, and they all produce the same sad plant. Your plants look beautiful.....sigh.

Susan

Bookmark   December 27, 2010 at 8:16AM
gardenfanatic(MO zone5b)

Your photos are amazing. I didn't get any decent photos this year because the butterflies move too fast for me to get a good shot.

Deanna

Bookmark   January 1, 2011 at 12:34AM
ladyrose65

Amazing pictures! I grew this plant for the first time this summer, it was a butterfly magnet. However, I had no idea how large the plant itself could grow! This is definately going to be a keeper in my summers to come.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 7:53PM
terrene(5b MA)

Hi Ladyrose - my Tithonia got HUGE this year!! It was almost as tall as the mammoth sunflowers. The butterflies and bees love it. So do hummingbirds. This year I noticed the Goldfinches and other small birds eating seed from the seed heads after we had the first hard frost. Fortunately, I had already collected some because they have scarfed up what was left!

I looked, but apparently didn't take any pictures of butterflies on Tithonia this year it this year...that I can find.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 3:04PM
ladyrose65

Hello Terene, unfortunately, I did not get a butterfly. There are some lovely pictures posted here. Has anyone grown the yellow "Torch" Tithonia?

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 7:42PM
terrene(5b MA)

The yellow variety I've grown is called "Aztec Gold". Very pretty. Grows somewhat more compact than the tall Orange.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 6:40PM
kellybird02(7b)

Beautiful pictures!

I love Tithonia! After trying it several years ago I will never go without it in the summer. Mine also start to get ratty looking toward the end of summer but it keeps flowering and the butterflies don't mind so I don't either!

Here's a Zebra Swallowtail

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
"showy milkweed" asclepias-speciosa plants available
For your information: Milkweed plants currently available...
mary_littlerockar
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™