Verbena tapien/blue annual or perennial?

datura222October 6, 2012

I am wondering if blue/violet verbena tapien is actually a reliable perennial in San Jose (sunset zone 15 i think?, or zone 9) or should be thought of as an annual to be discarded after a season?

I am looking for a low growing groundcover and really like the way it looks.

Thanks for any input :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lgteacher(SCal)

Hardiness is supposed to be from 8a - 11b. I'm in zone 10 I think, and mine keeps growing all year.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 8:35PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

In my opinion it isn't dependable as a long lived perennial ground cover here in northern California, especially if you want good appearance year round. I haven't grown it in areas with warmer summers, in Sunset zones 16/17 it generally lasted less than a year; some individual plants would live over, up to 50% would croak.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 1:30AM
datura222

Thank for the replies I really appreciate the input :)

I bought some myoporum parvifolium 'pink' just in case the verbena doesn't pull through. It looks low growing, dense and seems to be evergreen. Do either of you know how much each plant will actually spred? I read on the tag 24", but on some websites I am seeing 5 feet....not sure what I should space these at.
I just wanted some negative space...so I need a plant that would make a nice spreading groundcover for the eyes to rest on when surrounded by other plants.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 9:28PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

The Myoporum parvifolium 'Dwarf Pink form' is a great very low spreading ground cover, I use it a lot. I usually plant it at about a 12 to 18 inch spacing from flats or cell packs, as it is pretty fast growing, and after 2 or more years, yes, it can spread up to 4 feet across. Closer spacing isn't really a problem, but avoid planting it too close to edges of pavement or you'll need to trim it quite often. If you are planting it from one gallon cans, I'd space it more like 2 to 3 feet on center. Dymondia margaratae is another great low ground cover, and Dwarf Mondo Grass works well as well.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Dymondia
Hi all! I planted some dymondia as a groundcover last...
Sabine Halfhill
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™