Winter Gardens

chezterrOctober 23, 2012

Just wanted to check in to see what everyone else had planned for their winter gardens this year in CA.

I'm located in the high desert, so it does frost/freeze where I am at. I have a 6x8 greenhouse that I am growing 6 tomato plants in, along with carrots and hot/bell peppers (in 2x7 raised beds)

My 7x7 raised bed outside will have spinach, various kinds of lettuce, garlic, shallots and broccoli.

I'll try to snap some pictures of the greenhouse soon and add them to this thread.

Curious to see what everyone else is doing! :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I planted spinach and lettuce. I'm going to do more spinach and some radishes.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 12:07AM
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

My only winter veggie will be lettuce - but I'll have lots of flowers while Mother Nature does most of the watering. No frost here on the coast. Fall bulbs are starting to bloom; others are sprouting after the recent rain, along with wildflowers and Johnny Jumpups. Next weekend I'll be putting 240 Ranunculus bulbs in the ground and 300 tulips in the fridge. I have more wildflower seedlings started in flats to plant out next month. I'll be buying primroses and a few other annuals as soon as my local nursery has them.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 8:33PM
Moonflowerlady

I am going to plant lettuce, broccoli,brussel sprouts, kales,maybe carrots, i am getting a late start might find plants hopefully - i have been waiting for cooler weather it was 80 degrees Monday. RAINing today cooler in 70's this week.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 4:51AM
lgteacher(SCal)

I just planted broccoli and Swiss chard, but I'm in an almost frost-free zone. Bok choy grows really fast, so I can probably squeeze in a crop this fall. Lettuce is in a clay pot - easier to protect from insects and snails.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall vegetables

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 1:37PM
More Discussions
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™