Nice price on clematis

catcMarch 7, 2008

Someone on the Clematis forum posted a link to the website below. They have a nice assortment of clematis, including some unusual ones, for $6 each. I had been planning to buy a couple from Chalk Hill, but this guy has the same ones for less than half the Chalk Hill price. I just hope the plants are healthy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Koi Garden Club Clematis Sale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

The plants that Jerome at Koi Gardens sells are healthy plants in small pots that usually arrive potbound. That is not an issue though--just tease the roots apart as best you can, pot them up in one gallon sized pots, and grow them out until this fall, pinching back as the plant grows. Make sure you plant the plants deeper in the one gallon sized pots than they were in their original pots. This buries dormant nodes that can generate more stems from below ground level. This fall they will be huge one gallon sized plants that you would pay significantly more than $6 for anywhere you could find. Fall planting is far better than spring planting since we can go from spring to summer in no short time and the roots won't have as much time to acclimate. The cooler temps in the fall will allow the roots to get settled in well before winter arrives, and even into winter if the soil is well mulched, and next year the plants will take off like gangbusters.

Bookmark   March 8, 2008 at 1:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squirrelspur(6B/7A NC)

Thanks for the heads up. I shouldn't have but placed an order as they have a lot of the small flowered clematis that are scramblers rather than climbers - just the type I like the best.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 6:37AM
More Discussions
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
Rain barrels and soaker hoses
Here I am a aqain and gonna pester y'all one more time....
jimtnc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™