What am i?

angellillyOctober 25, 2009

So i have this sarracenia that looks like a leucophylla hybrid of some sort.I know iding is kinda difficult coz there is so much hybridisation but im slightly curious:

(crappy photo i know...) the plant gets about 4-5 hours direct sunlight but it doesnt get any redder (only the throat gets an intense red) and in fact the white windows in it are getting whiter(!)is it a hindle hybrid??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

After having posted several photos of similar looking plants, this summer, the experts in the field don't want any part of trying to IDing them as a any particular cultivar or hybrid. So I've been told to call them all, S. leucophylla. Here's what I mean:

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 8:24AM
angellilly

ugh...so its hopeless, right? i know leycophylla and hybrids have the same cultivation requirements but a name to go with that plant would be nice... :-/

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 8:49AM
sdcps

4-5 hours of sun isn't engough. THEY NEED ALL DAY TO GET RED!!!

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 12:57AM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Hey petio, why didn't you point out the full sun thing? You certainly would have if it was me!

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 5:41AM
petiolaris(Neutral)

Taz: Looks like sdcps caught my gloss. LOL! And yes, I would certainly have jumped all over you! Seriously, it may not be apparent from the written word, but I'm just teasin' ya.

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 9:23AM
angellilly

ehmmmm,sorry guys but this is all i can give it...at least pitchers are upright not leaning(unless they are full of bugs).... :-(

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 12:25PM
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Full sun means sunrise to sunset and that's what it needs in order to ID it properly or even close. I feel sorry for the plant. It should be going dormant soon. As it starts producing fall leaves back off on the water some. Fall leaves wont open and have a curl to them. They should stay fairly flat like a blade of grass but slightly thicker.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 12:52PM
angellilly

Oh, no worries taz its not my first pitcher plant!I had a purpurea and another leucophylla.purpurea died the same year i got it (bug problem i didnt notice until too late).This one in the pic i have for almost 3 years,its not very colorful i know but is growing like a weed;lots of offsets,roots all over the place and i repotted it in a gallon pot.And it made phyllodia already!thanx for the advise!

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
Nepenthes for Beginner
I'm looking to start growing nepenthes. What I've researched...
mildew
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™