Where to buy Corn Gluten Meal in Columbia,SC?

kerai(z8 SC)March 26, 2012

Hi,

I am at my witt's end trying to weed my flower beds and lawn. I read that Corn Gluten Meal is a pre-emergent herbicide and have been trying to find a place to buy. If any of you know of a place that sells this, will you let me know?

Thank you very much.

Viji

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

Kerai,
Look up a local Feed store. Just do a search on Animal Feeds in your zip code online.
The feed stores carry Corn gluten meal, if you want to buy it in a 50 lb bag.
If not, try a locally owned nursery, not a big box store.
They will either have it, or know where you can buy it.
I get my Alfalfa at Tractor Supply.
It wouldn't hurt to see if they have it, some horse foods
are made of corn gluten meal and molasses, which is also good for your gardens and lawns.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 12:55AM
keeval

I'm in NC, but will share my experience with finding CGM. I've been using it for about 5 years.

The local nurseries do carry it, but I've found I can order it from a local hardware store (family owned place) for a whole lot less. The same bag would be over $40 at a nursery, under $30 at the hardware store, so it pays to shop around. The hardware store doesn't keep it in stock, but they order it for me. I use Espoma brand, but am pretty sure Safer makes it too (I know I used them when I was new to CGM).

I would love to get it at a local feed store and spend less, but when I first researched CGM, I read the quality isn't the same and it may not have the same effectiveness. You might want to research that yourself, but here's a link that has some info: http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=753 . I realize it's from a company that wants to sell you their product, but I did see similar claims in other articles as well.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 2:28PM
kerai(z8 SC)

Thank you both for your inputs. I will try to call around this weekend and buy it. I am excited even to think of the possibility of not having to weed as much (of course, not polluting as well).

Appreciate your help,
Viji

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 12:04PM
ladybug2u2(7)

Just wondering Kerai if you found a local source for the CGM? I live near Columbia also and have looked for it for about 2 years now. Tks.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
black currents in the South
I want to grow black currents in the Triangle and have...
ChurchofBotany
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™