Limbed up Tecoma

jenn(SoCal 9/19)October 8, 2013

There is a Tecoma growing in front of a business near my home. It is planted at the northeast corner of this building, and limbed up to grow like a small tree about 8 feet tall.

I'd like to grow one exactly like it in a similar spot and I'm wondering which variety it might be. It has slender pointed leaves and orange blooms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Perhaps it is Tecoma x âÂÂOrange JubileeâÂÂ

Here is a link that might be useful: orange jubilee

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 10:53AM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Thank you, that could be it.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 1:01PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Tecoma x smithii is a faster/larger growing orange flowered Tecoma, and I've also used it trained as a standard. It resists being kept to a single trunk, and needs constant pruning to keep it from reverting to a shrub.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 2:20AM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Thank you, Bahia. 'Constant pruning' scares me away a bit, since I'm looking for something more low-maintenance.

For orange flowers, I'm also considering Salvia regla. We have one growing on the north side of our house where it gets morning sun in summer, and only bright shade in winter. It is very happy there. However, I'm wondering if it would be as happy with more sun, since even now in mid-October the spot I'm considering for it is still very sunny.

Can anyone recommend a limbed-up shrub or small tree with orange blooms that likes these conditions: east-facing with all-day summer sun, amended clay soil, low-to-moderate water).

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 6:25PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

You can't beat the Tecoma x smithii for dramatic and long season of blooms, but periodically you will need to prune out new basal shoots to keep as a standard. I've got one trained as a standard, and don't mind the occasional effort, but plant and forget use would be to allow this to grow as a large dense shrub.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™