are climbing nasturtiums a perennial in Pasadena?

nova0929October 20, 2010

We have only a chain link fence between the house we are renting and the neighbors, and we really want more privacy. We have planted jasmine in one section and put up a mostly ineffective bamboo fence in another. I thought it would be fun for our 2 year old to help me plant nasturtium seeds and train them up the bamboo fence. But I've just moved to Pasadena and I am wondering: are climbing nasturtiums perennials in this area? Or would I have to plant anew every year.

If they aren't perennials, do you have any recommendations for vines I could plant by seed, ie that won't be so expensive as bushes would be (it's about 35 feet) and that will grow quickly? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Axel(12b/Sunset H2)

It depends which part of Pasadena you're in. Some places get more frost than others. In the milder parts, it will survive every Winter.

But to be honest, nasturtiums look terrible after about a year, so I'd recommend something else, like a good passion vine. There are many different kinds and they grow very quickly. If you like fruit, look for passiflora edulis "Frederick", it's available at most nurseries.

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 5:00PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Yes, Passion vines grow quickly from seed. You will have passion vines all over the yard after they begin to set fruit, though, so beware.

If you want annual vines, morning glory, sweet peas, flame vine, and nasturtiums grow quickly and reseed. I love "Heavenly Blue" morning glory.

Renee

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 7:02PM
nova0929

Thank you!

Bookmark   October 21, 2010 at 3:21PM
lzrddr(91360)

Be careful... once you plant morning glory in that climate, you will have it forever... that was my biggest regret of planting... talk about an agressive vine! It sure looked great, but keeping it under control was a challenge (which I easily lost)

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 10:11AM
scarlett2001

I like thumbergia, Black eyed Susan vine. It comes in other colors, too.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 3:04AM
More Discussions
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™