OT: Colocasia Thailand Giant pic

Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VASeptember 7, 2010

Just though I would post a year-end pic of my Colocasia gigantea, 'Thailand Giant' strain. This one loves water and some shade. This is probably as big as it will get for me this season. Maybe bigger next year??? Not quite sure how I'm going to winter it over.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eloise_ca

Whoa Dave, that is BIG and beautiful! Looking forward to next year's growth :-)

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 8:31AM
karyn1(7a)

OMG it got bigger!!!!! That is such a cool colocasia. How big is the corm? Do you dig it up and store it over the winter or start with a new one next season?

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 8:44AM
pearlgirl

I love that thing! You'll hate to cut it down. Let us know
how you will store it.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 8:56AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Karyn, I started with a 2- or 3-gallon plant this last Spring. It would be easier to start 'fresh' next season with a new plant, if I could find one. But, I may try to dig this one, cut off all leaves, wash off soil and 'store' in a large bucket of water in a cool location.

This is a good way to store nearly every tender Colocasia BTW. In the south they die down with frost and survive dormant in the muck of ponds and waterways, so it's a good way to store the 'semi-aquatics' here too.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 10:20AM
midway(7B)

That is Beautiful, where can I find them.
I only have one green elephant ear and some black magic.
Thanks,
Patsey

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 11:24AM

patsey, you can try to order online (Brians Botanicals, Plant Delights, and others). I found mine at a local nursery, so can't help you much.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 12:29PM
marquest(z5 PA)

OH MY GOODNESS!!! It looks like Jurassic Park, LOL

Are you sure cool and in water will not rot the bulb? I keep mine damp in the pot but my basement is 65-70 all winter.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 3:37PM
mantorvillain(z4bMN Dodge)

Hmmmm- in water eh? My cool basement stays 50-60 degrees most of the winter. Maybe I'll give it a try with some of my colos of which I have more than one.
Does it work for alocasias as well?...My relatively small collection is the result of a number of trades and I'm always worried about carrying them over.
thanks for the tip.
Will

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 7:23PM
threas(z7 PA)

That's awesome, Dave! I got Thai Giant( I think) a couple of months back in a 2" pot. It's got alot more growing to do. It's about 3 1/2 foot now. Hope mine will winter over too. I kept the common green taro in a bucket w/ a bubbler and I kept Illustris, Hilo Beauty and Mickey Mouse Taro in a shallow tray with potting soil and no drainage, under fluorescent lights. I let them dry out in between watering, mainly because, I thought they rotted. They only went dormant, they came up this year:)

Theresa

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 7:41PM
mantorvillain(z4bMN Dodge)

...and what I meant to say first in my post above:
Shazam, that's a heckuva plant! You should share it over on the aroid forum also as it's a great example and they don't seem to get as many good pics as over here.
Will

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 8:31PM
ruth_ann(Z5 Ont.Can.)

Holy 'you know what' LOL, that is huge Dave!

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 10:17PM
princealbert(Aransas Pass TX)

Dave ,
That thing is beautiful. I hope it didn't eat the guy on the right side of the pic. LOL
pa

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 6:01PM
gardenpaw(5/6)

I agree it is just beautiful!

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 6:19PM
green_thumb_guy(Z5 Ont)

Wow,

that would makes some umbrella

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 7:05PM
sandysseeds007

A beautiful awesome plant! Is that a red leafed banana to the right, I can make room for that kind...lol

Thanks for sharing - Sandy

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 1:35AM
karyn1(7a)

DH said he wants to know where you live so he can come and cut your leaves. He really wouldn't do that but he said he has customers that would pay an arm and a leg for those leaves.

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 11:06AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Fantastic!!! I've got to get one of those!
~SJN

Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 11:48AM
chena(z8 Texas)

HOLY Macaroni!!! Dave what are you feeding this hog? Absolutely Beautiful!! Very Cool!!

Kylie

Bookmark   September 17, 2010 at 1:23PM
chena(z8 Texas)

OH BTW that Siam Ruby is looking great as well!!!

Kylie

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 8:16PM

Kylie, did you notice my UT hat?

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 12:46PM
my_own_hawaii

I am oon my second set of Thai Giants. bought the first two from and wintered them over in the pot for 2 yrs. I do domestic and wildlife rescue and had an extremely large emergency rescue of 13 cats! YIKES!!! Well needless too say the rescue kitties were not very nice too my thai's and well.. they have died! The kitties were all adopted out, but my plants suffered major casualties! I bought a new thia giant this year, from a local nursery, and I am dying to get this sucker in the ground but want ideal conditions for it. I plan to dig it up for the winter season but want this sucker to have the best spot in the yard. So maybe a few tips on getting mine to look that fabulous?? I have read a lot about them for the past few years but no one can really give me some ideal growing conditions that are tried and true. can u lend a little advice on how yours is planted, light, soil, acidity ect..???

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 5:16PM
chena(z8 Texas)

Hey!!!
I don't grow Thai Giant but.. I would place it in morning sun and afternoon shade.. That OK sun can be brutal.. Fertilize and water water water the heck out of the thing. I don't know if Daves pulls his in or not but I would.. Good Luck. and be sure to post pic's we love everything not just Brugs.. ;0)
Welcome BTW!!

Kylie

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 10:11AM
pagrdnr

I am trying a thailand giant this year and I'll be happy if mine looks half that good. My one leaf has a small variegated spot, I am interested to see if it continues.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 7:28PM
chena(z8 Texas)

Very Cool Shawn!!! It will be interesting to see just what other leaves it throws!

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 5:12PM
eloise_ca

Congrats Shawn, your Thailand giant looks great and I hope it keeps its variegation.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
Chocolate Brug
Gm, This is Eddie. Can you please email me at Eddie.Stiltner@my.lr.edu I...
eddiedewayne
goodgirl35us
New to brugs
I've not grown brugs before but have admired them for...
Vikki
WANTED: Well rooted brug plants-can't root a cutting!
I love these plants and have tried multiple times to...
skipper08
Question for Rosie1949. Re overwintering brugs in water
I posted this on another thread but since it may not...
mnwsgal 4 MN
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™