Asparagus - container growing?

rootdiggernc(Z-7A NC)March 18, 2012

Has anyone (in NC) tried growing asparagus in a container? I've put off planting some for far too long, mainly because we may not be in the same place in a few years, but I have a half barrel liner that would be big enough to start a patch and I could take that with me if/when we move. I can't stand frozen or canned but fresh is so yum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

I've only used pots when growing them from seed. They stay tiny for so long it was just easier to keep them in pots and keep them weeded (they hate weeds). I will say that the mature clumps are very easy to dig up and transport, I've moved them many times without losing a one.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 9:14AM
chas045(7b)

Say John, does that mean one could dig up a clump and redistribute it to increase yeald?

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 4:02PM
trianglejohn

The clumps don't handle being divided all that well. It works best if they are huge and even then all of them don't make it.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 9:20AM
rootdiggernc(Z-7A NC)

Thanks John, I think I'm going to try it. It'll take them a few years to get going and growing, maybe by then I can settle them into a permanent home. I'm going to have so much to dig, cut, divide, and move. I get overwhelmed just thinking about it, lol.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™