Suggestions to cover hot bare wall in narrow border

jenn(SoCal 9/19)October 21, 2012

I'm looking for a moderate-to-fast growing, drought-tolerant something to cover a large bare wall about 7' wide on the side of our house that faces southeast. It's in our side yard and not visible from the street. This spot feels hot in summer when the sun beats down on the white house, casting blinding reflective light. This area gets hot sun until early afternoon during the warmer months; in the cooler months, the afternoon sun is blocked by the garage on the south side.

This spot is in a narrow border, about 3' deep between the house and a stone path. Our soil is clay, and this border does not get regular irrigation.

I envision a narrow limbed-up shrub or small tree to walk under, easy enough to keep trimmed back from the path and house as it grows taller into a small tree form. Or, a well-mannered vine that does not engulf the house. This spot doesn't get enough winter sun for a climbing Rose. The sideyard is full of edibles (apple trees, lemon tree, Lemon Verbena, peppers) mixed with some ornamentals (Iris, Salvias). I call it my 'fun' garden. We have lots of birds but I'd prefer something without berries to litter the path.

I've considered citrus (possibly too slow growing, unless we find a large plant for a large pot) and Tecoma x smithii.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Why not consider planting an espaliered fig tree against the wall? It would love the conditions, and play off your edibles theme. Grewia caffra would also work well as an espaliered hedge, as would Star Jasmine on a trellis. A Calliandra would also like this spot.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:40PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Or Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) Then the wall would not be hot any more. Fig would be great. The hotter the spot, the sweeter the fruit. Yummy!

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 2:09PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Thank you, I really like the idea of something espaliered on the wall, especially the fig. But how would it like the shade cast by the garage in winter?

No ivy, thank you!

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 4:11PM
sautesmom

Figs lose their leaves in winter and go dormant.

Carla in Sac

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 6:47PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus) is not Ivy (Hedera). That's just the common name.

Yes Figs sleep in winter, so winter shade won't hurt it.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 5:21PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Ah - thanks hoovb, and I'm sorry I didn't research before my hasty answer. I really like the fig idea best but appreciate your suggestion as well.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™