Infected sarracenia

Dano194October 20, 2013

Hi everyone, new member here!

I bought a Sarracenia leucophylla from a reputable seller 3/4 weeks ago that has started to look rather poorly. Two of the pitchers have developed black spots and white patches of fuzzy mould which are killing the pitchers. These occured after the pitchers began turning brown. There are a total of 4 pitchers and the two that are infected are full of flies (they were the only ones open when it arrived and they sent them already loaded with flies).

I have moved the plant away from the rest of my collection and was wondering what this may be and how I can treat it? The white mould is also growing over the soil. The two other pitchers are unaffected for now and developing nicely. I would really appreciate some help here because I am fairly new to growing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dano194

More pictures...

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 4:05PM
Dano194

The soil

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 4:06PM
Dante1709

All I can think about is maybe ;
Repotting..maybe the medium is rotting
Cut back on watering..maybe cause the rotting to get worst
Use hydrogen peroxide..it should help with mould or any type of infection without harming the plant.

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 9:02PM
tommyr_gw

What kind of soil is it in? It MAY be just normal pitcher rotting due to the decaying insects. If it's fungus use a SULPHUR based fungicide.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 2:50PM
Dano194

Thanks for the replies and advice. I believe it is in a mix of peat, perlite and sand. I removed the dying pitchers and sprayed the plant with a homemade baking soda fungicide just in case and until I get some better stuff. I also removed and replaced the top layer of soil and can replace more if it persists. I think you could be right about the pitchers rotting seeing as the new pitchers are still unaffected and the fact that the old pitchers were pretty full!

This post was edited by Dano194 on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 19:45

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
WANTED: wanted pitcher plant
Hi all Im looking for pitcher plants or cuttings for...
renagirl-2008
What would you call the crown jewels of the CP world?
OK, I read recently a great topic of what's my favorite...
jonocross
My huge pitcher from propagation (N. ventrata)
Hi I'm new in this forum and I want to show you my...
NepenthesGrower
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™