Help - new yard in a wind tunnel

StephMorganHillOctober 22, 2013

We have a 1/2 acre of rocky orchard dirt in our backyard that I need to transform into a garden, but we live in a wind tunnel and are surrounded by fields. I have about 100 ft along a fence where I would like to plant some wind hardy trees, but not evergreens because the area needs sun in winter. My current options are to put in clumping bamboo for immediate windbreak and plant ginkgo biloba in front and wait for it to mature, or a few red maples. What will grow up high relatively quickly and not cause too much litter? I would like trees with some interesting bark in winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
princesspea(sunset14)

How about temporary reed or split bamboo fencing to chill out the wind while trees are growing in ? As long as it allows some air through it won't make the wind into a vortex behind it.

I would go for red maples, I love gingkos, they are so beautiful, but they smell so bad if one is a lady gingko.

I have a wind tunnel front yard too, on a busy street in SJ . On my street are gingkos and evergreen magnolia. I don't have either, I'm still trying to decide what to do for street trees (despite all the helpful advice I got on this forum)

Pea

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 3:14PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

The Sunset Garden book has a good section on windbreaks. I recall being surprised at the recommendations. You may wish to take a look at it- they have some fine drawings of how different fences and plants work as windbreaks.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 10:53PM
aquilachrysaetos

I did a lot of research on trees because I live in a wind tunnel part of the year. I live below the Cajon Pass and the Santa Anas howl through there.

I settled on Sycamores (London plane and Cal sycamore) because they were rated very well for wind resistance. They definitely have interesting bark.

Established Crape Myrtles have done extremely well for me as well. Young ones can get blown over but I have restaked them and they suffered no harm.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 3:48AM
StephMorganHill

Thanks. I have looked at the Sunset book, but didn't find it that inspiring. Sycamores are a huge problem, the fuzzy hairs they produce in spring can create horrible breathing problems. I have decided to go with an arbutus marina, red maples and laurels, and then am planting a podocarpus hedge for a second layer

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Pool landscaping: a question of symmetry
The coping (a sandy colored Utah stone) for my swimming...
zagyzebra
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™