Bringing Bruggies in with Buggies

reet59(z3 MB)September 26, 2011

I'm in Winnipeg and naturally need to bring 8 large brugs in for the winter. Last winter I cut them seriously back, and this summer their growth was unimpressive and yielded not a single bloom. Our summer was a veritable drought, as well. Not sure why the year was so bad for flowers. Any ideas?

My other question is: THey are all currently on my front lawn, in pots, with their leaves on. Their leaves are absolutely covered in spider mites. Because I can't afford to bring those troublemakers inside, is it alright for me to cut all the leaves off? I usually wait for the fall to encourage the leaves to drop, but I fear that timing may be frustrating this year. Bad year for my brugs :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

There's no problem with stripping the foliage but I'd still carefully wash the stems before bringing them in. Not a great year for mine either. Crazy weather. Hopefully next year will be better.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 9:26AM
tommysmommy(Colorado)

I always spray and clean before I take them in. Unfortunately (or fortunately however you'd like to view it) many have buds and I will be "forced" to pot them and grow them indoors till they bloom. Also, and this time I say fortunately, we are having 80 degree weather again this week so, they can stay out yet for a little while. We'll see what next week brings :-O

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 10:03AM
pizzuti(5A)

Luckily, spraying brugmansias for spider mites is MUCH easier when the leaves fall off!

Check out some neem oil from your local hardware store, mix a tablespoon with a spray bottle full of water, and mist the stems. It knocks 'em dead, but neem oil is otherwise organic and non-toxic. Spray/dump a little more of the mixture into the soil for good measure in case any more are hiding there. With bare stems, you don't have to worry about all the random crevices they can hide in and can thoroughly cover everything.

If they're covered in mites I'm surprised they're not already shedding their leaves on their own as a defense mechanism.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 12:36AM
chena(z8 Texas)

If you can't find Neem Oil.. Check out Neem Tree Farms.. The have some really cool all Natural products.. I got some Neem Oil and an Anti Itch Formula that works Great!!!

Kylie

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem Tree farms

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
goodgirl35us
Dr. Seuss got a little cold
Ok, so advice - Vinyl greenhouses from Big Lots cannot...
cygnwulf
Brugmansia Eternity
I think everyone should have no problems flowering...
boonboon
Why don't my plants set seeds??
I have had my brugs for over 30 years and to my knowledge...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
Sphagnum Moss Rooting Method - Step by Step!
I've had a couple of requests as to how I root my cuttings!...
sibhskylvr
Sponsored Products
Blue Floral Throw Pillow
$34.99 | zulily
Holman Brushed Nickel Two-Light Wall Bath Vanity with Satin Etched Glass
$42.60 | Bellacor
Cherub Garden Weathervane
Signature Hardware
Ceremonial Headdress Art Print
$35.99 | Dot & Bo
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus WHKSDLV3-8101 Goose Neck Lever Kitchen Faucet
$599.00 | Blue Bath
Galati Five-Light Brushed Nickel Vanity Light with Rounded Matte Opal Glass Shad
$342.00 | Bellacor
Jon Gilmore Question of Time Wall Clock - 15-Inches Wide - PCQ1536
$402.50 | Hayneedle
Reflective Water 5" x 7" Photo Frame
$109.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™