just starting

vampyrepyro420(6a)October 18, 2006

hello everybody,

im just starting my love of carnivrous plants and i got a vft today at lowes, i think it will die because it was really dry but it was really green, i wish they had some neps there because i would have gotten all of them because they are probbly my favorite

ben

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xymox(CA)

Water your flytrap with distilled or purified water as soon as possible. avoid tap water since it may contain salts.

make sure your flytrap has a small dish or saucer under the pot/container. this will help the soil to stay moist at all times.. make sure the soil is moist at all times as well, never allow the soil to dry out..

After that, grow it under flourecent lights or in a sunny location for now, it should recover. then gradually increase the lighting every week. Since fall is coming(days are shorter and colder) it's best to grow your plant under artificial lights.
16 hours daily will be suficient for its growth. Right now, i am currently growing 2 new flytraps under artificial lighting.

**word of advice****

avoid trying to poke its traps or feeding it, just avoid exhausting it any further. the little plant will need all its energy to send new leaves and make new traps. With patience, you will be able to feed it bugs later on once your flytrap thrives in its new location. good luck

Bookmark   October 18, 2006 at 11:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

Basically, the idea is to nurse it back to health and get it through the rest of fall and winter. Good advice above!

Bookmark   October 19, 2006 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
VFT after some ice and snow
I just wanted to upload this pic of my VFT and pitcher...
purslanegarden
Can dead sphagnum turn into live sphagnum?
I'm noticing some green patches in my LFS. Is it live...
outsiders71
Nepenthes for Beginner
I'm looking to start growing nepenthes. What I've researched...
mildew
Conditions for Cephalotus seeds?
What conditions are necessary for germination of the...
townhouserOnt
anyone have any pitcher plants or cuttings to spare
Hello all Just wondering if anyone had any pitcher...
renagirl-2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™