hydrangea has growth

mad_about_mickey(**7* *N.C.)March 18, 2008

now if i want it to be blue, do i fertilize with miracid type fertilizer or something else? I got them from qvc last year. One bloomed pink and one blue. The other one didnt bloom at all, but has nice growth this year. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

Sounds like a good plan. You can also try mulching with acidic mulches like pine bark. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 1:20AM
Dibbit(z7b SC)

Several of the newer (last 10 years or so) hydrangeas don't change color with the soil pH, they just bloom the color they bloom. So, not knowing the cultivars, yours MAY change color and bloom as you want or may bloom as they did last summer, hopefully with blooms on the non-bloomer. If you REALLY want blooms of a certain color, you may have to buy ones that stay that color whatever the soil pH.

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 9:25AM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

If you have one of the old-fashioned hydrangeas that will change color with soil acidity, you can take a soil sample to the Johnston County Ag Dept and the soil will be analyzed for free. Adding sulphur is a good way to reduce soil pH.

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 10:03AM
karen__w(z7 Durham, NC)

For the hydrangeas that change color between pink and blue (not all do), it's aluminum that makes them blue. Aluminum is usually present in the soil but isn't readily available to the plant at higher pH, so that's why people talk about making the soil acid. The soil test will let you know where you stand on both fronts, and if it turns out you need both you can use aluminum sulfate.

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 10:14AM
mad_about_mickey(**7* *N.C.)

They are 'endless summer'.

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 4:59PM
alicia7b(z7b/8aNC)

Endless Summer will change color depending on the soil acidity.

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 5:10PM
ncdirtdigger(7b)

Add aluminum sulphate and any good azalea camelia fertilizer (I like Hollytone because it's mostly organic and slow release) if you want blue and lime will cause them to turn pink.

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 8:17AM
More Discussions
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
Errosion on active creek
I need help saving the large trees on the banks of...
kellyinnc
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™