Save my succulent, please!

xtinuvielxJuly 3, 2014

Hi! I haven't got much of a green thumb and I thought, ok succulents are great for me. However, 8 months in, it's starting to slump and I don't know how to save it!

It's winter here in Australia, and my plant is kept indoor in the office where there's sun by the window. Temperature in the room is a constant of 23 degrees celsius. I just tend to water it once a week but the soil is crusty/hardened/dry. I've never put fertiliser in it before.

How can I save it? Do I need to repot? What kind of soil should I use? If I need to fertilise, what type of fertilise? Please help me save this little guy. He used to stand tall and I'm a bit sad that he's slouchy. Thanks for any help I can get!

P/s photo attached.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Maxim1122

I think it needs more light, if it's possible then you should invest in a bulb to stand over the plant..
I'm not an expert and I'm not sure if that's the solution and I don't know which bulb to use, but that's the most logical problem, not enough light.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 2:37AM
Noteybook(5)

I'm going to agree with Maxim, your plant is getting leggy and is searching for better light. A lightbulb would be appropriate, or a window with more hours of light per day( Here in the states it's a south or west facing one, but I don't know if that's flipped for you guys below the equator :P )

Otherwise he seems fine.. you might have to decapitate him though, because once a plant starts going leggy, it won't shrink back to 'normal' size. But hey, if you do that, you'll end up with more of these little buggers! :D

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 9:59AM
aztcqn

I'd also change out the mix if it's crusty hard. It may not be letting any water penetrate the center. Peet based mixes can dry out and become impermeable, later. You want an open lose mix. And yep more light would keep it form elongating in a quest for more.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 3:09AM
More Discussions
Rosary plant or string of hearts help
Can I propagate from leaf? I also received a tubular....
chicagardens
Can you please name this succulent (Qatar)
This was growing along with cactus it has red ripe...
maufie123
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
Hobbit, skinny fingers or Gollum
Okay just brought this off eBay it was labeled as a...
Hamza Nobes
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™