when do oranges turn orange?

HesperidiumJanuary 9, 2011

I have a navel orange plant in a container. It is about two years old and has lots of small fruit, about one to one and half inches in diameter(at least the largest ones). I live in Ohio and have it in the sunniest room in my house and it seems to be doing O.K., but I have noticed that some of the fruits are turning orange. I did not think they did that until they were mature. Is this normal, or is something wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malcolm_manners

With such small fruit, there's a good chance those fruit will drop off while still immature. It is quite normal for a navel orange tree to drop vast numbers of immature fruit.

Once they are full-size, color is determined by temperatures. When the temps drop below 55�F (12.7C), the color-changing process is triggered. It is completely unrelated to "ripeness" or palatability of the fruit. So in Florida, early-maturing things like Satsumas, Dancy, Hamlin, and navels often are very good to eat while still green, whereas 'Valencia' and other late-maturing things may be brilliant orange long before they are fit to eat.

Bookmark   January 9, 2011 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™