Terrerium help!!

laceymae053November 6, 2010

Here's the situation: I have a 90 gal. fish tank that I have turned into a terrerium. In that terrerium I have a small pot of butterworts (3 inch), some sundews and two lowland nepenthes. I think the humidity is right because the nepenthes are now producing pitchers (albiet slowly) and the sundews are producing dew, but they aren't turning pink. I'd like to put a light in the tank closer to the sundews to help them turn, but I'm not sure what wattage, or how close to put it to the sundews. I'm also concerned about the temperature of the tank after I put a light inside it and put the lid on.. If I put the light inside should I leave the lid off? Any input would be much appreciated - Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Put 2 dual 4' T12(160w total) or T8(128w total) fluorescent shop lights on top. Use any bulbs from 4100k to 6500k. One set of either might do the trick but the more light the better if they're not getting any sun. Get a cheap mechanical dial type timer and set it for 12-16 hours. T12 fixtures are less than $10 and the timer is about the same at lowes. Bulbs are about $4 each or a case of 10 for $25. Do not use a digital timer.

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 6:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceymae053

Thanks Taz, I'll run with that and see how it goes :D

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 1:23AM
More Discussions
New to this. Did I kill it?
I have had a nephthenes/tropical pitcher for a few...
Deir
sarracenia seedlings
sarracenia flava x ornata i never woulda thought that...
skeptis
VFT after some ice and snow
I just wanted to upload this pic of my VFT and pitcher...
purslanegarden
Miracle Gro
:/ sigh Miracle Gro..... so it seems that this stuff...
ermaclob
Nepenthes for beginners
Hi, I used to be a member of Garden Web years ago when...
HollowOakFarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™