Is my pitcher plant falling into partial dormancy?

mcgyvr2009i(Schenectady, NY 5b)November 18, 2012

The pitchers on my Nepenthes keep drying up. No new pitchers are mforming, and the premature green baby pitchers aren't expanding or growing either. Instead THOSE pitchers are drying up too. I have increased the watering frequency from once a week to about 2 to 3 times a week. Is it dying or falling into partial dormancy? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

That is normal, especially where we are in N.Y. Just keep the soil always moist and keep in a east or west window.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 3:31PM
mcgyvr2009i(Schenectady, NY 5b)

Now that I think about it, it's growing like there's nothing wrong with it. It's the pitchers that are having problems. So, maybe it will grow the pitchers back in the spring. My! Such an interesting plant! :-)

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 5:23PM
tommyr_gw

I'm sure the plant is fine, pitchers don't last forever, when they start to look ugly just clip them off at the leaf tip.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 5:44PM

Okay, the winter is over in my area. There are still 6 pitchers on my Nepenthes to spare. They aren't drying up anymore and still have stomach acid in them and still digesting the bugs they currently have. How long before I see new pitchers? What do I do when I see new ones? Do I feed them right away or leave them alone? Thanks.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 4:50PM
tommyr_gw

It may be a bit long where you are, I'm downstate a bit where it's a little warmer. You CAN feed the plant 1/4 strength orchid food every 2 weeks to initiate pitchering. also give them plenty of bright light. Just keep that soil moist, that's it!

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 5:51PM

I heard that feeding carnivorous plants through the roots can kill them since they've evolved to receive nutrients through their "mouth" so how much is a healthy dose for the Nepenthes? I ask so I don't give a lethal dose.

If size matters, let's just say it's gone psychotic. It has outgrown the pot most definitely. I'd say it's about 4 to 6 times the size of it's pot. It has doubled in size in the past 5 or 6 months that I have had it... the monster. lol

I have no clue what soil is good for it so I can't replant it yet. If you can tell me what to plant it in as well, that would be great too. Thanks for the response.

Attached is a picture of the "monstrosity" as I call it. From this angle, you can hardly see the pot it's in.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 6:12PM
tommyr_gw

Feeding most carnivorous plants is bad. But a weak solution as I mentioned for NEPENTHES is fine. *I* feed MINE this time of year . But hey, do what you want. I'm just trying to help.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
Help with N. alata
Hi, We have recently added the wonderful pitcher plant...
Nagem
Mold... *Sigh*
Well, I screwed up. I didn't cover up the plants dormant...
David146
peat/sand mix
This might seem like a silly question, just starting...
johnmathieson23
Sarracenia Barba brown tips
I bought a Sarracenia Barba earlier this year and it...
juneyp
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™