Plant Id please: saw in SF Bay Area

homey_birdOctober 12, 2013

Hi all,

I am trying to identify the beautiful plants that looked tropical in a house garden (on sale) in SF Bay Area, and would appreciate help in identifying.

It seems either a heliconia or a ginger, and leaves can be both plain or variegated. The plants seem to grow in a clump,

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Zillow link to on market property with gorgeous plant

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Alpinia zerumbet variegated, I think.

Geeze, 1.9 for a 1600 sq ft Eichler...

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 9:19PM
homey_bird

Yes, I agree. :-) But DH and I really really enjoyed the house. Very pretty house and a gorgeous yard.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 11:54PM
homey_bird

BTW -- checked out the pics on google. Alpinia zerumbet seems to be a shorter plant than those in this garden. These plants were about 4-5 ft tall and not as dense. But they might have been majorly trimmed to reduce dense look. Thanks for posting.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 11:57PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Alpinia zerumbet variegata is the plant in your photo, and size/compactness can vary considerably depending on environmental growing conditions. The straight species is considerably taller growing, but also more likely to bloom.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 2:50AM
stanofh

It can be a large clump-I have seen them in full sun up to 6' tall and 8-10' wide around the corner. They pruned it way back before I could take a pic. It was impressive!

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 12:12PM
homey_bird

Thank you all for the confirmation. How exactly does it need be grown for a vertical sparse (not very dense) habit? (i.e plenty water or dappled shade or raised planters etc.)

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 4:22PM
stanofh

In part shade here in the bay area? It can and will reach 9'. Just be careful on the shade part...too much,too deep, and they will languish and die.
They are also very sensitive to being dug up and moved. They are not like the Gingers that die down in winter. The variegated will flower...but they are not as large flowers here as the all green or even the variegated in hot summer climates in soucal.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 10:22PM
homey_bird

Thank you for sharing. The ones that I saw were not in flower but just foliage was so striking that I'd grow it for that sake! Thanks again.

Bookmark   October 18, 2013 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
Pittosporum 'Silver Sheen'
I live in Northridge, CA which is located in the San...
runaround
Suggestions for unusual and well-producing veggies for northbay?
We're about to plant the same old things: beans, tomatoes,...
carolsun
What's the deal with milkweed
When is a good time to locate seeds or starts for milkweed?...
sf_rhino
Sunset Magazine slowly being gutted
A real shame. I've been a subscriber for decades, ever...
jkom51
Shade cloth for tomatoes in San Fernando Valley
We have another couple of scorching days in So Cal...
sheckylovejoy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™