citrus trees

Citrus_canuck(6b)January 15, 2014

Its been awhile since I posted. All my trees have now been in my possesion for almost a year. All are doing good to decent, not great. I lost a few branches, thankfully ones I wanted rid of reguardless. THey have never been outside, strictly indoors, even through summer. I have 5 grow lights on from 6am till 7-8pm daily. I do a low dose fert with every feeding and once a month a follilar feeding. I have gotten tree look more like I wanted (the loss of branches) and have had pretty steady growth. My limes flower, but never set the fruit... and for now, I am ok with that. I want the trees to grow a bit more first.

I love that they are bright green and healthy, I have a tree putting out some flowers now... I thought it was my meyer, but seeing the buds, its more than likly my key lime (tags got removed... 2 were mixed up)

I have recieved SO much help from everyone here. Happy to be back and posting again.

Happy new year!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orangelime1

It sounds that your trees look great.I live in the Ottawa area in zone 5a and I am also having fantastic results with citrus trees . Are the flowers on your citrus tree solid white if so that would be the key lime if they have a bit of purple then that would be the Meyer. Are there reasons you do not place your trees out for the summer? Your chances for fruit would probably be a lot better if they did go out for a few months.

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 3:44PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Yes. I was wondering whey you don't put them outside too?
I'll bet you live in a condo or something like that.

I can tell you that nothing can compesate for long days full of natural sunlight....If you had a greenhouse, you would be golden also.

You sound like you are doing a good job, but just think of how much further growth and fruit you would get if you let the natural sunlight do its job!

Mike;-)

Bookmark   January 15, 2014 at 5:49PM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

Here in Cincinnati the winter solstice sun shines at an angle of 27 degrees off the horizon at mid day. NOT A PRETTY PICTURE. Would a greenhouse be of any use with less than a quarter mile clearing to the south up there. Are you north of the arctic circle.

I am using a setup that works great for me. I foliage feed a weak 30-10-10 Miracid 2 times a day in an 80 F box with 16 hours of CFL daylight. You could do the same thing in a closet instead of the box I am using. Just click link below and click on any thumbnail to enlarge.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/sunshine2013

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 10:54PM
Citrus_canuck(6b)

I dont put them out as it is insanly windy where I am, almost all the time. I initially tried and my largest meyer lost almost all its branches and went flying quite a distance.

I wish I could put them outside. I get little to no direct sun (less than an hour a day early morning sun) and then with the wind... I dont want to love my trees.

Not able to build a shelter from the wind, tried putting them in larger pots filled with rocks, but the trees just hated it.

Happy with growing indoors, they are happy, and yes, I know they'd be happier with some time outside. Maybe I will try this year....

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
My Meyer Lemon Tree is not doing well... can I save it?
Hi All, I am new to this forum and joined because I...
braun928
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™