Worldwide Exotics and drought tolerant plants

annemarieoOctober 27, 2013

Have any of you been here or know about this nursery. I went by yesterday and walked through the plants for awhile. No one seemed to be there. No one came to help me. I am going to try again. They are only opened to public on Saturdays. They have a web site with a large list of plants they grow. Some very beautiful photos! I also need some suggestions for more drought tolerant low water use plants. I have a couple lavenders and some natives. The plants on the web site are all listed with real names not the common name. I would appreciate some suggestions if anyone knows scientific names. I bought some Lantana today. I have full sun in front yard. Back yard is morning sun. Filtered in some areas.
Thank you. Anne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kelpmermaid(10S24)

I haven't been there, but have you checked out Theodore Payne for natives? They offer classes...

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:50PM
eloise_ca

I haven't been there is over a year. I used to go regularly and the dd and mom were always very helpful. Recently I was in the area and thought they had closed! Sorry, can't help with drought tolerant plants because I love the jungle look.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 2:10PM
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

I'm also in zone 10, near the coast so I get a lot of fog in May and June. My lantana, rosemary and ceanothus don't require any water except rain (once established) although I hose them off occasionally to get the dust off of the leaves. I water Teucrium chamaedrys and Cistus once a month. South African bulbs like babiana, watsonia and freesia survive on rain alone.

Are you looking for shrubs, perennials, bulbs, trees . . .

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 7:21PM
annemarieo

Kelpmermaid , I was a member of Theodore Payne. Had to drop it when $ got tight. I have a few plants in my garden from there. I love going there wish I had time for classes. Maybe some day.
Eloise, Good to hear I will definitely go back to Worldwide Exotics. They had so much there . I just needed some guidance .
Socalgal, I am looking for perennials , shrubs flowers. Bulbs , but I don't have good luck with them. I am going to look up the plants you mention. Though I am in the valley where it gets quite hot. I would need to water more then you.
Thank you all for the replies,

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™