Tips and tricks?

LunRTwilight(7)November 2, 2013

I just bought a Venus Fly Trap and I'll be the first to admit that I never had much luck growing them as a kid. Now that I'm older, I thought I'd give it another go.

I know it's getting cooler and they need to go into a dormant state, but how should I do this? Does it need sunlight during dormancy? What about humidity? If anyone has any tips or tricks for a newbie like me, I'd appreciate it!

LunR

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyr_gw

It does not need light during dormancy, mine go in the fridge for the fall/winter.
In zip lock bags.

Use rainwater or distilled water ONLY, no tap or bottled waters.

I'd slowly get it used to outside temps then when it gets close to freezing put it somewhere like a basement or garage where the temps stay around 35-40 F.

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 10:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ayahuasca(8B)

Hi LunR,
What are your climate conditions like? VFTs can handle light freezing lemps over the winter. If it is possible to left them go dormant outside, that is the best approach IMO. If it is too warm where you are at than the fridge trick does work. If folliage remains on the plant and does not die off completely, make sure it gets light, other than that, as stated, light is not really necessary. (If there are no leaves then light wont do much good afterall) Is this the first year you have had it? If you recieved it bare root and/or it is not fully acclimated yet then the argument could be made that allowing it to skip dormancy this season is beneficial. Personally, I often skip dormany my first year with a new VFT and allow it to focus on vegetative growth. I only do that first season, especially if it is recieve bare root.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 6:00AM
More Discussions
anyone have any pitcher plants or cuttings to spare
Hello all Just wondering if anyone had any pitcher...
renagirl-2008
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
My huge pitcher from propagation (N. ventrata)
Hi I'm new in this forum and I want to show you my...
NepenthesGrower
Might be a stupid question but......,,
Hi everyone! I have two nepenthes. I believe they're...
LilBit7765
Please help?! Nepenthes got too hot:(
Hi I've been growing Neps for about 2years now, I love...
alex1122
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™