Blood Orange Varieties

catbox_9January 19, 2010

I've managed to keep a grapefruit alive for a year without the aid of a greenhouse in zone 8B and am planning to add a greenhouse so I think I can successfully grow a blood orange tree as well.

With that said, I'm not sure what variety I want. Last year I bought a few at a farmer's market and they were one of the best fruits I've ever had. I didn't ask the variety as I didn't think it mattered. A few weeks later I bought some Moro blood oranges at the grocery store and they were nothing great. The ones I liked were more sour than the Moro (although not nearly as sour as a kumquat or lemon). Also, the outside was mostly orange with a little bit of red as was the inside.

If I had to guess I'd say it was Tarocco. The farmer's market was in San Luis Obispo, CA if that matters. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greendesert

the Tarocco variety came to my mind too while reading your posting. I read that as far as taste, they're easily the best tasting blood orange. I will definitelly try growing it. My other favorite is Trovita, but that's not a blood orange.

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 1:16AM
lifespeed(9B San Jose)

Sanguinelli are the most acid blood orange and one of my favorites. Moro are also very good, still have some acid but not as much as the Sanguinelli.

You should not judge by whatever you ate from the store. Both Moro and Sanguinelli are delicious when properly grown and ripened.

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 6:33PM
andrew78(6)

Lifespeed,
You are so right! I managed to eat some tree ripened mango and what a diffrence! Same with ponderosa lemon. I have a dwarf moro blood orange right now, but still too small for fruit. I love moro's and I have only had them from the grocery store. I didn't buy any this year, to damn exopensive, $1.25 a piece!!
Andrew

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™