Blood Orange Varieties

catbox_9January 19, 2010

I've managed to keep a grapefruit alive for a year without the aid of a greenhouse in zone 8B and am planning to add a greenhouse so I think I can successfully grow a blood orange tree as well.

With that said, I'm not sure what variety I want. Last year I bought a few at a farmer's market and they were one of the best fruits I've ever had. I didn't ask the variety as I didn't think it mattered. A few weeks later I bought some Moro blood oranges at the grocery store and they were nothing great. The ones I liked were more sour than the Moro (although not nearly as sour as a kumquat or lemon). Also, the outside was mostly orange with a little bit of red as was the inside.

If I had to guess I'd say it was Tarocco. The farmer's market was in San Luis Obispo, CA if that matters. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greendesert

the Tarocco variety came to my mind too while reading your posting. I read that as far as taste, they're easily the best tasting blood orange. I will definitelly try growing it. My other favorite is Trovita, but that's not a blood orange.

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 1:16AM
lifespeed(9B San Jose)

Sanguinelli are the most acid blood orange and one of my favorites. Moro are also very good, still have some acid but not as much as the Sanguinelli.

You should not judge by whatever you ate from the store. Both Moro and Sanguinelli are delicious when properly grown and ripened.

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 6:33PM
Andrew Scott

Lifespeed,
You are so right! I managed to eat some tree ripened mango and what a diffrence! Same with ponderosa lemon. I have a dwarf moro blood orange right now, but still too small for fruit. I love moro's and I have only had them from the grocery store. I didn't buy any this year, to damn exopensive, $1.25 a piece!!
Andrew

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Japanese Citrus - Sudachi or Kabosu
Hi, I am wanting to add these two trees to my citrus...
citrusboy
Is my tree a goner???
I came home from work to find our miniature sour orange...
christimfarley
Cuban Shaddock, a dwarfing rootstock? I doubt it
It is difficult to find information about this rootstock...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?...
vickicat
Sponsored Products
Mendota Harbor Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Moooi | Horse Floor Lamp
YLiving.com
Hinkley Lighting Lighting Hardware 120-Volt Line Voltage Burial Ballast Box
Home Depot
Worlds Away - Humphrey Mirror Cabinet - HUMPHREY S
Great Furniture Deal
Chintaly Adjustable Teramo Swivel Bar Stool - White - 0812-AS-WHT
$314.82 | Hayneedle