Have You Seen This?

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MIJuly 22, 2014

For years I used this mix for all of my plants. I used to purchase it by the case. For me it was better than sliced white bread! As with anything else, times and things change and well, I have been unable to find this or anything similar. Doing search finds that Miracle Gro supposedly makes this product, now and it is listed on their website. I have written their customer center and they are baffled that it appears on their site because no one has ever heard of it!!!!

I did find this posting but don't know its reference:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azgard/msg1216290031207.html

Contrary to what one would think, this is a wood particle product. It never compacts, water seems to run through quickly and it lasts for several years! You may barely appreciate what it looks like through the clear area at the lower end of the bag. So my question is, if anyone out there happens to see something similar, might be in a different container/bag, send me an email, please.

Howard

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 9:00

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mingtea(z9 Tucson)

Lol, I don't know if there is unintentional irony here.... But I wonder if they've changed their packaging?

-Ming

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:25AM
Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6

How would last year's black mulch work? I purchased some and never got to use it all and when I opened the bag, it was composted to a nice back easy draining soil. It was hardwood black died mulch. So signs of wood product was found. But sorry I can't help you. I'll keep my eyes open.
Stush

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 2:52PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

Yes! I found it ONCE, several years ago! It was great! Went back & could find no more! :( Where did you find it, Howard?

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 11:27PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

This package is the last one I have from more than 30 years ago. I used to purchase it, as I said, by the case; 24 bags per case. I only came in this size container. For the life of me, can't recall where I bought it, sorry. I wish I could find it again)-:

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 7:34AM
hijole(9 Sunny California)

Howard, I can't say I've seen this interesting package either but now I'll start my search. Sounds like it could help out as far as fast draining soil mix.
Its funny that it was joined to the miracle gro ad and they were unaware of its existence, or maybe you spoke to the wrong department.

It kinda looks like a box of "Sugar Pops" Cereal lol..

Greg

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 10:40AM
emee(7)

I noticed scottsbrands.com sells a cactus mix by that name. It contains compost, sand, perlite, pumice. The package is different.

This post was edited by emee on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 13:53

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 1:40PM
cactusmcharris

But that bag couldn't possibly be in use now in the US or in Canada. Howard, how old do you think that one is?

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 2:45PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

No of course not... that bag is probably 35 years old. I found it buried in a box with other plant paraphernalia; didn't know I had any left... saving it as a memento.

As for the Scotts Brand product, that is what I found last year and NO BODY in their customer center even know it was their product. Yet even today their website has the product listed/pictured (see link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Magic Cactus Mix

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 2:51PM
cactusmcharris

I've bought that before in Arizona, Howard, for plants that I've PIGed. If I used it for potted plants, I'd have sieved it.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 3:18PM
seedmoney

Ok, gang I "live-chatted" with a supposed human named Andera of the Scotts Company and attempted to buy some; she/he said the company has discontinued it . I asked why, if that was the case, was it still advertised on their website and person said she/he would alert the powers that be and have it removed. I went on to ask if they actually made this mix themselves or if they were only a distributor, but I was met with silence and person cut off our chat. The mystery deepens...

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:13PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Julie, Andrea is the only one on live chat for the company because that is the same person with whom I chatted earlier and was told the same thing to the word... What I can't believe is this product is still on their website for over a year and no one has addressed the issue!!!!

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:17PM
seedmoney

If we could get them to tell us if they make it themselves or are only a distributor that would perhaps let us track it to another company. hmmmn...

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:23PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I remember those bags from childhood. Old, old company. MG likely bought it out to eliminate a competitor.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
When do I start watering after re-potting?
I will be re-potting my plants into the gritty mix...
blaquepua
Ants help!
Seems I have an ant problem hitched a ride on my big...
spikef35
Any ideas on what this is?
Hi everyone!! I just acquired this, I'm thinking thinking...
LilBit7765
Unable to find decomposed granite - sub granigrit?
Hi folks! Trying to get the Cheiridopsis mix going...
Bama_Joe
New jade arrivals from Australia and Italy
Hi, just wanted to show you my new jades that arrived...
bens2bens
Sponsored Products
Copley Swivel Chair - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
CabLED I-Coupler Connector 300-C8KOIC-A0-A1
$2.97 | Home Depot
Lutron | Maestro IR- Single Pole - Fan/Light Control
$142.70 | YLighting
Surface Mount Thermoplastic Coated Handicap Accessible Round Picnic Table
Fifthroom.com
Tremont Green Oval: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Oval Rug
$269.00 | Bellacor