Are you confused there buddy?

antechronNovember 2, 2007

Ok, usually when I buy VFTs it is in the spring or summer but occasionally I will buy one in the fall. This time I got one maybe 6-8 weeks ago. As usual I tried to restore the plant to health before send it into dormancy, when it looked happy about 3ish weeks ago, (mind by healthy I mean it was producing many leaves, even what looked to be some of the tall spring variety, and it was a dark green) I began dropping the photoperiod and then I began putting it outside for some cold temperature. Night here is now around 30-35 degrees. As usual, I was trying to forget about the plants until it is too cold for them outside. This time, concerned I had started the new VFT into dormancy a bit quickly, I went out to take a look at it. It now has a flower stalk about 3/4 an inch high... Sigh.

Anyway, I moved the poor confused little thing back inside and, since it looks reasonably healthy, I am planning to let it flower. I suppose the care given to at the store was so bad it thought it was in dormancy...? I am wondering whether I should start it into dormancy right after it is done flowering or just wait until next fall? Or half way through summer? Do VFTs self pollinate very well? I usually let the bees do that but... I guess, what can I do to help it get pollinated?

PS. Mutant Hybrid, you recomend Neem Oil, and I was wondering if it is fine to use on seeds or if it is able to smother them?

Thanks everyone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ilbasso_74

I'd say wait. Where did you get it? If it was a good nursery, then ok but if rescued from a store then it won't have the strength to survive the winter (and maybe not even flowering). I'm keeping some under the lights for the winter because they were in a dark store for so much of the summer.

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 1:10AM
mutant_hybrid(8)

Antechron,

You can use Neem oil or sulfur powder. Both will work. I have sprayed neem oil on seeds, plants, soil, anything that needed fungal treatment and it never caused any problems. Just use as directed as with any other product.

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 3:03AM
petiolaris(Neutral)

I would cut the flower and as long as you can keep the plant from freezing to death, let it go through a proper dormancy.

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Sarracenia Barba brown tips
I bought a Sarracenia Barba earlier this year and it...
juneyp
WANTED: Trade/Wanted: beginner plants.
Looking to trade for some beginner carnivorous plants. I...
sillybugs
Dang whitefly infestation on pitcher plants
Hello dearies, I was wondering if anyone had a good...
Hoistthesails
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
Help with Southern Purple Pitcher Plant
Hello. I need some advice about growing and caring...
arvadalanee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™