A Smoke Bush with a difference

bahia(SF Bay Area)October 30, 2012

Most people are probably very familiar with the purple foliaged forms of Cotinus coggygria such as 'Royal Smoke', and it is a wonderful shrub/small tree for a dry sunny spot. People may not be as aware that there is a chartreuse cultivar of C. coggygria called Golden Spirit that is great for a shaded woodland garden to lighten up a dark spot, and it has great golden fall foliage color. Here's a photo link of one in an Alameda garden underneath the canopy of a Coast Live Oak tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Spirit Smoke Bush

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Thanks for the introduction. I almost lost my Cotinus Royal Purple, after several years in the garden, when I planted a new Rosemary hedge too close. The Smoke tree had always been neglected, but I did not know how sensitive to summer water they were. The Golden Spirit I will guess is similar in this respect. Al

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 4:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkom51(Z9 CA/Sunset 17)

I had never seen the chartreuse form prior to a visit to the Elizabeth Gamble Garden in Palo Alto, when we did an overnight there. I agree, it is a beautiful shrub!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Gardening Forum: Visit to Elizabeth Gamble Garden

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™