Mulch and CP's

lostbutlookingNovember 26, 2006

Hi all

I have my VFT's and I Sarracenia outside in a new bog garden. It is starting to get cold at night, we may be down to freezing this week, what can I mulch these plants with? Straw, Leaves, bark?? Any and all advice dearly welcomed. I am in zone 9 if that helps we very seldom ever get any snow and the days are getting into the high to mid sixities.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

Sphagnum peat, as in the big bags of it from Home Depot or Lowes, is what to use. Also pine needles.

Bookmark   November 28, 2006 at 7:55PM
lostbutlooking

Thanks I do have pine needles and the peat moss and it is definatly freezing here. I used leaves the first night and so far okay, will change them out for your recomendations.
Thanks again

Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 1:10PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

Fortunately or unfortunately, there are several ways of approaching dormancy for Sarracenias, VFT's and the like, depending upon where one lives and what they have don't have available to them. For instance, 2 years ago we didn't have an attic and my VFT's were tried out in a variety of locations, including between the storm and inner kitchen (not cold enough)windows, as well as the screened porch (where they froze), and eventually in the refrigerator's butter keeper (as was). Last year we moved to Buffalo, NY and I toted my minibog buckets to the attic, keeping them by the SW window. The plants went to sleep and then began waking up in late February. That's my experience. Others also have greenhouses at their disposal. Whatever works for you, that provides seasonally reduced light, near freezing temps, and reduced watering - that's what you want to do.

Here's an example of the minibogs, just after bringing them outside, following dormancy:

Bookmark   November 30, 2006 at 6:08PM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

Zone 9? You do realize that these plants are native to the the Southern US and Carolina coast? What flavor of Sar do you have? S. purpurea ssp. p is native from NJ North up into Canada. Neither flytraps nor sars should need any mulch in zone 9.

Bookmark   December 1, 2006 at 11:57AM
myrmecodia(7 NC)

In zone 9. I wouldn't bother mulching vfts and Sarracenias. If your days are above freezing, I'd think that the mulch would just prevent air movement and encourage rot. I'm in zone 7, and I never mulch. The VFT and Sarracenias are perfectly hardy in temperatures above 20 F, and I haven't had any problems even when temps drop to 10-15 F for a few hours.

Bookmark   December 3, 2006 at 3:43PM
mattmega4(9)

How about mulching a Drosera Capensis..sundew in a zone 8 or 9?

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 12:45AM
angellilly

I tried it here, zone 8a-8b, but it froze anyway...so,flytraps and sarracenias only, for me!

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Dang whitefly infestation on pitcher plants
Hello dearies, I was wondering if anyone had a good...
Hoistthesails
Horrible Experience with Mail Order
I ordered two plants from someone with a great website....
treehugger101
Conditions for Cephalotus seeds?
What conditions are necessary for germination of the...
townhouserOnt
Venus Fly Trap Germination Chambers
Yesterday I set up four little pots that are covered...
Squishy666
Artificial lighting for Sarracenia?
I lived in Zone 10 (San Francisco) and moved from a...
rms9004
Sponsored Products
Campania International Cascading Hosta Outdoor Fountain - FT-229 - NATURAL
$829.99 | Hayneedle
Campania International Seasons Cast Stone Globe Holder - PD-199-AL
$499.99 | Hayneedle
Campania International Equinox Cast Stone Birdbath - B-159-AL
$479.99 | Hayneedle
Campania International Windmoore Birdbath - B-156 - NATURAL
$514.99 | Hayneedle
Campania International Pisa Cast Stone Bird Bath - B-054-AL
$109.99 | Hayneedle