Encouraging new Pitchers for beginner...

Vesper13November 27, 2012

Hello,
I am new to the site as well as to the world of Pitcher Plants! I fell in love with one at a greenhouse this past summer but was only given simple/basic instructions at best. The plant at time of purchase was full of gorgeous green leaves and had at least 10-15 tendrils/pitchers lavishly hanging down. All was well with my beauty until a recent move. While relocating into a new house I left my Pitcher Plant on a table by a bright sunny window overnight until I could affix it's hanger in the window. During the night my pet house rabbit nibbled at and ate all the pitchers! The rabbit is fine, Pitcher Plants pose no danger to rabbits. My problem is this about 2 months has passed and I have no idea how to encourage new pitchers to form. I have her now hanging in a lovely window where she gets great sun throughout the day. We have steam radiator's so there is humidity in the air and it is generally at about 68 degrees. I mist around her every-other day or so, keep her soil moist with collected rain water or melted snow. I have fantastic green leaves growing and TONS of new leaf-growth spiraling up but see only 3 pitchers growing close to the soil. Does anyone have any ideas on how to help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Tommyr, a participant here on our forums, and a cp expert, offered this advice in another thread:

Don't worry about humidity, they're pretty adaptable. For mold/fungus use a SULFUR based fungicide.

How long do te pitchers last?

Never timed mine out but at least a month I think.

Do these plants produce pitchers year round?
No. They stop in fall/winter for the most part.

How can I encourage it to veep producing pitchers as the old ones die?
In late winter/early spring spray them with a 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer every 2 weeks

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
Horrible Experience with Mail Order
I ordered two plants from someone with a great website....
treehugger101
Blooming seedling
Hello all - Here is a picture of Venus Flytrap seedlings...
jebfarm
Cloth in pitcher plant
I just wonder, what would happen if a cotton or polyster...
mrcactus747
Nepenthes for Beginner
I'm looking to start growing nepenthes. What I've researched...
mildew
VFT after some ice and snow
I just wanted to upload this pic of my VFT and pitcher...
purslanegarden
Sponsored Products
Monogram Pitcher - M
$120.00 | Horchow
Yellow Footed Thumb 43-Oz. Pitcher
$14.99 | zulily
Read the Word´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Inspirati
$255.95 | Bellacor
Big Love Spoons Gift Box by Alessi
$55.00 | Lumens
DENY Designs Juliana Curi Chevron 4 Outdoor Throw Pillow - 16118-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Science of Sleep Back Sleeper Pillow
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™